Thread: blood test

blood test

Hi Guys

I had a blood test in October, GP said it was normal, although his receptionist said it had "low blood count" on it when I called for the results. I assumed this was my old iron deficiency again. But I went for a smear test last month and the nurse said it was my white blood count that was low, not red. She put the fear of God in me by saying it could be an infection, and I scoured the web for diseases, coming across Aids and cancer all the time. GP did another blood test 3 weeks ago and it turned out fine - he said the white blood count wasnt low at all, and that even if it had been marginally low, it would have been normal as I have a Thalessemia gene, which is in the red blood cells but also makes the white ones look a bit low. Does this sound ok? I mean, if there was anything serious in the blood test, is he legally obligated to tell me and send me for further tests, or would a GP keep it quiet to stop patient panicking? I'm terrified all the time in case my anxiety symptoms indicate something physical, so please forgive me if I sound a little paranoid.

Anxiety Is Evil

Hi There

I am sure if you had anything to worry about the doctor would have most defintley told you, I know its hard not to be worried and look up symptoms etc but try and take comfort in the doc saying your tests were fine

Take Care
    Wendy x

hi there i too feel the same about wether to believe wat the docs say but my doc told me 100% it was anxiety and i didnt need any further treatment so what more do i do then believe him what symptoms do u get to make u believe your ill? remember its all in the mind

In my experience, GPs take blood tests ultra-seriously. If there was any doubt at all, you would be sent for further tests. It's in the GPs interest to catch anything iffy at an early stage, after all, rather that wait for more expensive or difficult treatment. There's no harm in asking again, though, or requesting a second test. After all, your test results are very important to you, and he would be aware of that.

I totally understand your worry. The doctor most definately will tell you anything that comes up in the test, he wouldnt of even gotten you to take them if he wouldnt of told you the truth once the results are in.

Things you should think about though that are important, are not looking up symptoms on the net. How ever tempting it is, it can only put fear in our minds. Seld-diagnosis via the net is not a true diagnosis. It just puts extra fuel on the fire which we do not want do we!

Hard for me to tell you not to surf the net for answers though... because I do it all the time myself, it becomes obsessive i know!

Never say never, opps said it twice..

****She put the fear of God in me by saying it could be an infection, and I scoured the web for diseases, coming across Aids and cancer all the time****

Health Anxiety

Bad Night.......To much time to think....!
    Health Anxiety and the Internet

Avoidance or sensible?
    media
    illogical fear driving me mad!
    Its happening again !
    Its happening again !
    Feeling lonely
    Mind fixed on something ughhh

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

Thread Information