Thread: Petechaie - Back Again

Petechaie - Back Again

Hi all

I haven't worried about my health for a good few months, but I wanted to post as I am currently a little concerned.

Last October, I first noticed Petechaie on my feet, which disappeared, and then appeared and spread along my arms (very very tiny red pin prick spots, barely noticeable) They have stayed there since, but all blood tests, including seeing a dermatologist, rheumatologist, liver tests, full blood counts, etc etc were totally normal.

I had several lots of blood taken over several months and everything was normal. I was then told that there was no explanation, and basically it was a benign cause.

Since then I had ignored it, and I have felt fine.

Tonight I noticed a sudden appearance of about 10 slightly larger red splodges under my skin. I went to an out of hours doctor who said they were a petechial rash, but, weren't lots of them, and basically he had no idea what would be causing it. He said my general other health seemed well, and to just observe them. He said if it spreads / gets worse to go back to my GP and ask for more liver tests / rheumatology tests.

Basically, I'm now a little freaked that maybe all the tests before missed something, and that I have had a year of damage building up.

I feel fine in myself (despite having a cold for the last week or so..though the Dr ruled out it being viral) but, am concerned about the sudden appearance of larger spots under the skin on my legs.

I have read several posts about petechiae, but I was wondering if anyone has had similar, or have had any developments after getting normal test results etc.

Sorry for such a long waffly post, but if anyone has any thoughts, let me know

I was due to go away for 2 days with work, but due to my worry, I want to see my GP tomorrow or I know I will spend the two days in panic.

Any thoughts, advice, etc would be helpful

Thanks for reading
    Chris x

Re: Petechaie - Back Again

Hi Chris,
    I had something similar appear across my abdomen and on my chest, little red spots, or blemishes, some larger than others, that wouldn't go away. I went to my GP and was told it was an infection of the hair follicles on my body and was given some antibiotic cream which cleared them up. Sounds similar to what you are describing, but just thought I'd let you know.

Hi I get them and am just about to have a blood test tomorrow to do all the tests youve had. Ill let you know of my results when I get them^^
    I wouldnt be particularly worried about it.

Hi Chris,

I remember your posts last year on petechaie, and you may have seen mine on my little red dots on the skin (march - august 2010). I initially thought my pin prick red dots were petechaie, but the GP said mine are Campbell de Morgan spots. He said you can them as tiny red dots. Maybe the ones that stayed on your arms are the same?

Anyway, I had 2 FBCs, ESR and LFTs done and all were normal. Problem is, they are still gradually appearing.....same boat as you I guess.

Not sure how any of that helps, but thought I'd share my story with you

Jo

Hey all,
    Thanks for replies.

Liquid - I don't think they are those, I've been told they are petechaie / broken capillaries, but they have hundreds of causes some serious, some not, obviously my mind goes for the serious.

Vixxy - Thanks, do let me know how you get on. I'm going to see the Doc today and hopefully get some blood tests ordered.

Jo - Thanks Jo, I accepted they were nothing to worry about after all the tests, but now, the sudden appearance of larger one's on my legs has got me concerned about them. Will see what Doc says I guess. I am still noticing smaller one's too, but not so worried about them. Where did you leave it with your Doc?

Hi again Chris,

It was left with my doc that he was adamant the red dots didn't have a serious cause and I was adamant that they did. He said he didn't know how to reassure me and then referred me for CBT.

To be honest, I only stopped stressing about the dots quite so much because I found a lump in my breast and so something else to focus on, and when I'm not occupied by some other physical worry, I go back to the petechaie/C de Morgan spots worry.

Did you see the doc today and what did he say?

J

Hey Jo
    I'm in the same sort of boat, although at the time, I probably saw about 8 different people, including a dermatologist and rheumatologist, so pretty much had everything ruled out serious or otherwise.

So I stopped worrying about the small ones, but now, since these bigger ones have appeared on my legs, I'm back concerned again. I guess, like you, when I find something new it worries me, although I've lasted about 6 months without any worries.

I couldnt get an appointment today, so I'm going to phone up tomorrow.

Do you have MSN or anything? Would be interesting to hear your news etc.
    Chris x

Hiya,

I haven't got MSN but feel free to PM me if you want to.

Did you manage to get an appt with your doc today? What did he say? i've been for my CBT tonight, and ended up talking about petechaie!!

I'm off on a separate worry this last week or so and dots aren't therefore bothering me as much at the mo, but still at the back of my mind...

J

You can get weird rashes/spots with a viral illness also or if you are stressed about something.

Petechiae that has a serious cause will show up in blood tests, both in a full blood count and a U's and E's test.

In full blood counts they are looking for markers such as high white cells, and in U's an E's a high CRP level which indicates infection. Of course they are also looking for physical symptoms too such as fever, photophobia, and any rash that is unblanching.

We had tons of kids admitted with petechial rashes and and no other real symptoms and when bloods came back normal the general conclusion was it was viral.xx

Debs is right, if your blood work is normal and you have no fever, then don't worry. I gdt these often, some stay, some go.

Thread Information