Thread: Can blood tests detect advanced cancer

Can blood tests detect advanced cancer

I had a blood test about a month ago and my white blood cell count was slightly high.

I had another blood test just over a week ago at my local walk-in centre and my ESR was slightly high but i presume my white blood cell count was ok in that test.

They done a full blood count along with other things and the doctor said there wasn't anything to worry about.

But what i want to know is can blood tests detect cancer if it's advanced? or can it detect cancer at all? Wouldn't something show up somewhere?

Thanks.

Re: Can blood tests detect advanced cancer

um.... ive been throught this aswell..... apparently, if there is something really wrong, there would be a huge change in the cells, i think, white blood cells try to fight off things, so they would have to be at a excessivley... and i mean really high... ive had blood tests and my white cells were slightly elevated... but due to feeling a bit under the weather... i have read your last post on feeling unwell... so they will be a little high because of that... it is nothing to worry about i have had the same thing... i hope this helps... xx
    white cells can raise slightly when you have a virus... cold.... upset tummy, anything like that.... xxxxx

No your blood test alone cannot tell you if you have cancer it can indicate there is something wrong which will require further tests but cancer won't show up alone in your blood. If you have been diagnosed certain tests can show levels which can tell how your illness is progressing/getting better but no blood test on it's own can tell you have cancer.

A high white cell count tells you, you might have an infection or that your body is trying to fight something but not that you have cancer. Same as a low white cell tells you your immune system is not working too well.

A ESR level is not an indicator of much really only you may have some inflammation but most doctor don't take any notice of this level unless it is included with other tests results or you can get a high ESR level with flu.

Sorry Eggy, I'm getting confused with all the blood tests...with some you say everythings is ok, while others you say they have picked up on certain things? You're saying in this thread now that you had a full blood count which was all clear? I thought you had some issues with the last blood test

Anna x

Sorry Eggy, have just spotted the date on this thread...september, so its not a new thread as I thought

Anna x

Thread Information