Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vulvar Cancer???

Vulvar Cancer???

Hello everyone,
    I’m currently freaking out about something and I need some support…I’ve had very bad health anxiety for as long as I can remember. I’ve worried about the following things in the last 5-6 years:

HIV (the most major one)
    Skin cancer
    Herpes
    Lymphoma
    Heart problems
    Numerous other cancers

At the moment I’m worried about vulvar cancer. I’m 21 years old, 22 in December. Several months ago I noticed that I had 2 very small, flat, brown spots on my vulva. You can kinda see through the spots, they are not darkly pigmented. They are not near each other. They don’t feel any different than the skin around them. I have had no itching, pain, discharge or any other symptoms. I do not know how long these spots have been here, they could have been there all my life as far as I know. They look like birthmarks to me, but I’m scared that they are something more than that.

I can’t get to a gyno until early November, but I have a dermatologist appointment for something else this coming Wednesday. I plan on asking my derm about the spots. I’m particularly afraid that they are vulvar melanoma, even though they do not resemble a typical melanoma.

I know that vulvar cancer is generally considered rare and is found mostly in older women, however I’m scared to death. What do you guys think?

Re: Vulvar Cancer???

Hi, Well I had the same fear and have the same spots on my vulva. I went and saw a doctor who brought in a female nurse ( law in australia with a male Dr ). When he had a look he just said they are nothing, just pigmentation. I think back now as my health anxiety is under control and am very embarrassed. I am nearly double your age so I very much doubt you have anything to worry about at all. Take care.

Hi Adelle,
    If you don’t mind me asking, what do your spots look like? How big are they, what shape are they, what color? Your post made me feel better, but I’m still scared. At first I thought they were just pigmentation, then I googled :( Now I’m convinced I have vulvar cancer…

Hi

I have been worrying about vulval cancer recently too as I found a small lump - the doctor confirmed that it was just a cyst and to leave it alone. With this health anxiety, I always jump to the worst conclusion!!

In reality, vulval cancer is extremely rare (just over 1000 cases in the UK annually and about 3500 in the US). Over 85% of the people affected are over 65 years. Younger people who get it usually suffer from a skin condition known as VIN or have the HPV virus which can be picked up in a routine smear. It is highly unlikely that you have this form of cancer.

I would however recommend that you see a GP as they can check you out and alay your fears.

Good luck and take care x

Hi Jo,
    I know that it is extremely rare, but that doesn’t stop the worrying…I’m not sure if I have HPV or not, I have a GYN appt. in early Nov. I do have an appt. with my dermatologist tomorrow and want to ask him. I’m just really scared. I have read that people with VIN and vulvar melanoma usually have ulcerated lesions, pain and constant itching. I have had no symptoms, but I know that means nothing.

I’ve been looking up different types of pigmented lesions of the vulva and some of them DO resemble mine, but I don’t know for sure what they are. I will let you know how it goes. I’m so nervous :-X

Ok, let me know how you go tomorrow.

Will be thinking of you x

if you have a cervical smear does this pick up abnormal results in the vagina?
    cause i am worried about vulval cancer, i had an abnormal cervical smear in march and they told me to wait 6 months but would this have picked up anything near the vulva?

Hi Ellie,
    I’m not sure if a pap would pick up anything on the vulva, I wouldn’t think so. The people that I have read about having vulvar cancer usually had a persistent itch or a sore on the vulva that wouldn’t heal. I think it’s usually diagnosed because someone is inquiring about symptoms.

I did go to my dermatologist yesterday, however he could not check out my spot because he said he needed to have a female chaperone in the room and could only do it during day appointments. So I have an appointment tomorrow at 1. I haven’t had any itching or pain or any other symptoms. I just have this tiny dark spot and I’m worried it’s melanoma or something. I did some research and read about something called lentigo/lentigines and they can occur on the vulva. Mine looks similar to lentigo. I hope that’s all it is…or a birthmark.

Have you had any symptoms?

You said you found the tiny spot months ago; so it is definetly not melanoma! It would have changed size/appearance in that amount of time!

I haven't had many symptoms, I itch sometimes but i get reccurrent thrust. of course to me its not thrush though.. it is vulval cancer

Ellie,
    I read some stories about some ladies with vulvar cancer and they said it itched so bad they would tear their skin up. I bet yours is just the thrush, I just got over a yeast infection, I know how bad the itch is! 3 of my close friends have had abnormal paps and they are fine I am about to go for my first one in November so hopefully I can handle that without freaking out. I’m hoping you’re right about the melanoma thing…I know that I normally blow things out of proportion but I’m just so scared about this.

Do you plan on getting checked out for vulvar cancer?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information