Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Low platelet count please help me

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Low platelet count please help me

Hi There

I am so scared at the moment I have just rang in for the results of my blood test and they have said that my full bloods were fine but I need to have my platelets retested as they were a bit low. I'm so scared I'm sitting here at work just wanting to go home and cry I keep thinking that its cancer or something please can anyone help me :(

Re: Low platelet count please help me

Hi Jj8, the lab often re-do tests to make sure the first was correct. Im sure you dont have cancer, in the meantime while you go and have it done, why not have a chat with the practice nurse/or your gp for reassurance. Im sure they will be happy to explain everything. Try to get through the rest of the day by really concentrating on the work you are doing, and d some breathing excercises? xx Im sorry youre having a crappy day xx

It could be as simple as a vit B12 or folic acid deficiency. Try not to worry, but do as Paula suggests if you can.

Thank you for your reply, please can anyone tell me what this means I really cant cope at the minute im so scared please help I just want to go home and cry

Hun, what do you need to know when you say what this means?

As the other guys have said, low platelets doesn't necessarily mean cancer, and it is probable that your blood test as a whole would be seriously off if that were the case, and not just the platelet count. Platelets are made in the bone marrow, and are responsible for the clotting mechanism, so healing us when we cut ourselves, etc. Do you have any specific symptoms?

As Jane said, if you have low B12 or folic acid that can cause low platelets so please try not to look at the worse possible scenario. Through my experience as a hospital nurse it is ALSO common for lab tests to give an incorrect reading and often a retest is required.

Try to look at the very positive news which is your other counts were absolutely fine and not on the negative.

Keep us posted and lots of love.xxxx
    Last edited by debs71; 21-09-10 at 12:32.

Hi Debs

I went to the doctors because I was getting left sided head aches and tiredness, I've got two weeks of this worrying now and I really don't know what to do, im so scared im 23 this is my worst nightmare :(

hi stop worrying i have had low platelet count when i was pregnant its not the end of the world its just to do with the clotting of your blood if it abit low it just doesnt clot so well but i think i took iron tablets cant quite remember buts its nothing to panic about so please stop worrying.xx

Hello

I have just been speaking to my friend and she said that amoxicillin can effect blood tests which I have been taking for my tooth is this true? I only have a low platelet count, does anyone know what normally causes this? Is it normally cancer?

Any medication can affect blood test results. You dont have cancer, platelets are for clotting. x

did they say how low? cos if they were only a bit low its realy nothing to worry about? did the doctor know how worried u are or reassure you? if they were worryingly low they would have contacted you straight away and rushed you in to have them tested again? x

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information