Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Low platelet count please help me

Re: Low platelet count please help me

I just wanted to say thank you for your replies the other day, as my posts were a bit short as I was really panicing. I'm still feeling really scared and I dont know how im going to get through the next two weeks, I feel really worried, I was just starting to overcome my anxierty and now this happens. I'm thinking... 'hoping' that the results were false as the nurse had trouble getting blood out of my arm... anyways hope you are all ok and I hope that I can be of help to u one day as you have been to me xx

Jj8, I'm sorry you are still worried, please try not to.xx

I just wanted to ask if the platelets result was from your Full Blood Count or did they take a second test, that being a clotting test? How many bottles did they fill?

The reason I ask is that you mention the nurse had trouble getting blood out.Well if a nurse/phlebotomist has this trouble and keeps topping up the vial or spends ages trying to suck blood into the syringe slowly, the blood sample can haemolyse, which means when it is sent for testing you can get a distorted reading.

It just crossed my mind.

Anyway, lots of love and I hope things can settle down for you.xxxx

Hi debs xx
    the nurse had trouble getting it out of one arm which is now very bruised. Which I've never had before as I had to have a d dimer test a few weeks ago which came back ok, this was for a full blood count, I noticed that it took her awhile to draw the blood out but when she did there was a sort of pearcing sound of like air going into the tube if that makes sense, when I looked at the tube there was only abit of blood which suprised me as I've never had trouble with blood being taken before, I went to the doctors because of my head aches i've only just managed to control my anxiety but it's going through the roof again! Your so kind to help me thank u xx

Hey, it's no probs. I know how you are feeling and just want to see if maybe there is a bad sample explanation for this as I know these things happen! It also sure didn't help your anxiety any to have a bodged blood drawing either! There are some phlebotomists who are fab at taking blood and get it first time with minimal bruising if any, and others...well....the words 'human pin cushion' spring to mind!!!!!

As I waffled on about before hun, I truly believe if there was anything sinister then your other results would be off as well, so please try to cut that bad thought from your mind if you can.xxxxxx

Thank you debs I have been trying to keep what you said in mind, I really hope that it is a wrong result, I will let you know as soon as I find out! The day can't come quick enough! I think I should stay away from google :( it's the devil! And I know what u mean about The human pin cushion, ive never bruised so badly before & it really hurt when she did it, have to say I'm not looking forward to Friday and I normally love Fridays!! Thank u again for your help xxx

Debs!

Just to let you know I had my blood test the other day and it has come back as normal! I'm so happy You were right! Thank you so much for your help xxxx

Oh that's brilliant news Jj8!!!

So glad for you. You must feel a weight off now. I was very sceptical just because all the rest of the results were ok and I know the labs or phlebotomist can balls things up, bless 'em!!

Excellent news.xxxxx

It just shows how they say things to us, last year i had a blood test as i was struggling, tired and depressed almost. that night nhs direct rang me to say i had an abnormal blood result, and did i feel okay!! oh my God! i asked why and she said oh the lab is now closed we cannot tell you, but you need to see a gp asap. they made me an appointment with the emergency gp at night, and she rang the lab!!! my only issue? low blood count, granted it was 4 and very very low, so the answer is permanent iron tablets. thats it!
    when i pu the phone down my husband was stood with me and i said what they had said and all, and i mean all that went thru my mind was cancer, my poor kid saw all this.
    I made a complaint about the way they pass information. but the thing is they got me in the next morning for more blood tests as it was so low, so i now know when we think things are wrong, they would get us in asap, so rest assured in future.
    i am so very very pleased you are okay.

jools

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information