Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Emetophobia: Sickness bug going round! Everyone is getting it...

Exclamation Emetophobia: Sickness bug going round! Everyone is getting it...

Heyy,

For the last couple of weeks, people have work have been getting this sickness bug thats going round.. another person is off with it every couple of days and im terrified of catching it!!

Also, friends outside work are getting it and people are writing about this sickness bug on facebook... so i really cant escape it!!

I was in work this morning and someone was telling me about a colleague having to go home last week because she stsarted being sick and now its in my head again... i cant stop thinking about it!

Since that conversation, my stomach has started feeling funny.. i know its probably all in my head but there is a good chance i could get this bug because everyone is coming down with it!!

Iv had emet for the past 11 years now and i really couldnt cope with the bug...

Are there any tips / advice to stopping me get this bug?? I keep washing my hands in work, but is there anything else i could do...

Thank you xx

Re: Emetophobia: Sickness bug going round! Everyone is getting it...

hiya hunni
    i doubt theres much more you can do than regularly washing your hands unless u wanna go 2 work in a mask lol???
    i dont know much about this phobia except people who have it dont like being sick so i cant really be of much help except for keeping my fingers crossed for you that u dont get it n send my luv
    kt

Heyy!
    Oh my gosh, I would be freaking out too!

I only know of one person that has had a stomach bug recently and luckily i don't see them!

Still makes you panic though!

Best thing you can do is keep washing your hands especially when you are at work.
    Don't put your hands in your mouth, nose or eyes without washing them for at least 20 seconds.
    I always keep Buccastem tablets with me. You put them in between the top lip and gum and they block the vomiting signal center in the brain! they are actually a smaller dose of an anti emetic that you can get on prescription.
    Never had to use them luckily but the NHS direct recommended them to someone i know who had a sickness bug and it stopped her from being sick!

Urgh i wish people would just stay in the house 48 hours after their bug has gone and then these horrible things wouldn't spread!

(get some dettol wipes and use them on any surfaces at work haha)

Hope you're okay and stay sickness bug free!
    You're stomachs probably feeling a bit iffy because you're worried!

Try to stay positive and remember you can't breathe these things in unless you are with someone whos sick so aslong as you have clean hands you should be ok! xxx

Thanku for ur replies...

Iv never known about those tablets, might look into them... also motillium 10 blocks out the vomitting signals aswell, not had one before but got them in my bag! lol

I just really really dont want it - i dont think id cope!!

I keep washing my hands at work etc and wiped the computer mouse with a disinfectant wipe (because i share a computer with someone else at work)

Dont think i can do much else really... its reassuring to know we cant breathe the sickness bug in, cos i always thought just sitting in a room with someone who is ill then id catch it!

Im trying not to think about it too much but panic attacks have increased at work this week so my subconcious is obviously very aware of it all! xxx

You could look at it another way...if you had it, it might completely get rid of your phobia. I might be a bit naive though.

AND
    'AV A
    PASTY

lol yeah i thought that last year when i got food poisoning.... i coped really well with that and didnt panic whilst i was ill, but once i got better it started again! Cant win... x

I think the fear of getting it is worse than dealing with it once you've got it. At least once you get it, deal with it, get over it...well you dont have to fear catching it.

I think even people without this phobia would prefer not to get it. I know Id prefer it to stay away from me

Your joy is your sorrow unmasked.
    And the selfsame well from which your laughter rises was oftentimes filled with your tears.
    And how else can it be?
    Kahlil Gibran

I caught the Norovirus in March after my husband attended the Doctor's Surgery. He fell ill with bad diarrhoea, 2 days later I was sick and diarrhoea. I thought well, that wasn't too bad, being sick, was it??? I became quite confident but I am sure I would be completely freaking out if I started to feel sick again. The Sickness bug is around up here as well. Its almost Winter, the Winter Vomiting bug is here. I have been an emetephobic for 55 years.

Ugh!

It's going round at my work, too, and I've been on tenterhooks all week. That's why I'm here tonight, because I've got the fear-twitches.

Similarly, I wish people that had vomited would stay home. I'm getting better - a couple of years ago I was unable to work in part because of the fear of catching stomach bugs. Now it just makes me panic, and I deal with it.

Stick it out! I'm sure we'll be OK - most people *don't* catch it.

Fingers crossed for everyone then... seems like its going around everywhere!!

I agree, I wish people who were ill stayed at home so they didnt give it to everyone else!! Frustrates me when people come to work knowing full well they are ill... lol

Iv thought about staying in till it goes away from work but then i thought i cant really do that cos it wont help me in any way... and if i stayed away from work, id have to stay away from shops, bf, parents, family etc because whos to say theyve not been into contact with anyone whos ill... and that just cant happen so i guess iv got the carry on as normal and think 'if i get it, i get it.. il deal with it when it happens' but im struggling to believe that statement at the minute xx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information