Thread: Shortness of breath

Shortness of breath

Does anyone else experience this quite a bit?

Mines worries me quite a bit sometimes, normally it appears fine (or I don't notice it/pay attention to it), but even if I sip from a bottle of water for 5 seconds after I put it down it's almost like I'm gasping for the first couple of breaths after this, anybody else ever feel the same ?

Edit: I experience bad stomach acid, and Dr. Google points in this being the most likely cause.
    "You are trying to do all the right things, just don't "battle" it out. Try and carry on with normal day to day things and don't shrink from your anxiety. Remember that's it's acceptance that brings recovery. If you've been in a bad place for so long then old habits die hard, but they do die."

Re: Shortness of breath

You most likely have heartburn (a little inflammation in food pipe caused by acid) and maybe a slightly weak stomach sphincter.

I get this - especially with cold drinks and especially if i am drinking fast - i don't know if this is familiar to you.

It's normal, sometimes the bit that joins the stomach and food pipe is a bit too slow for our speed of sipping. It's nothing to fear.

Ellie x

Quote Originally Posted by lecb View Post
    You most likely have heartburn (a little inflammation in food pipe caused by acid) and maybe a slightly weak stomach sphincter.

I get this - especially with cold drinks and especially if i am drinking fast - i don't know if this is familiar to you.

It's normal, sometimes the bit that joins the stomach and food pipe is a bit too slow for our speed of sipping. It's nothing to fear.

Ellie x
    Thank you, that sounds exactly what it is.

I just took a couple small sips there and it was fine.

I suppose I bring it on myself somewhat as I know all the guides for stomach acid such as eating small meals, not too close to night time etc. but because I leave the house at 9am for uni and finish work at 10pm I sometimes forget about eating/don't have a standard pattern and sometimes I eat at this time of night (which I've just done there).

Next week uni lectures/tutorials start at a less intense pace and work's hours are going to be cut right back so I'll use the blissful spare time to sort out my eating patterns, eat little and often and start exercising more.

Cheers again for your reply.
    "You are trying to do all the right things, just don't "battle" it out. Try and carry on with normal day to day things and don't shrink from your anxiety. Remember that's it's acceptance that brings recovery. If you've been in a bad place for so long then old habits die hard, but they do die."

No need to thank me!

Yep, prolonged time between eating is never good for heartburn - i had awful heartburn after a bout of anxiety where i couldn't eat, and ended up in agony. I tried gaviscon, and i take regular meds for inflammation (i have a long term illness), and nothing was working. In the end i took 1 tbsp of vinegar and it worked wonders - i didn't have enough acid! It can work both ways...

Eat little and often, as you know and don't have ibuprofen on little food, or even worse asprin - you'll regret it!

All the best,
    Ellie

Thread Information