Thread: Waiting for mole biopsy results

Waiting for mole biopsy results

I feel so stupid! I had a full body check in May (melanoma is a big HA fear for me, for years) and I was looking at my back last week because I had fallen getting out of the bathtub and scraped up my back). It looked like one mole was a bit odd. I have approximately 5 atypical moles, I'm aware of them, hence the six monthly visits to the derm. This one in particular is 5 mm across, light brown and fairly regular except for one edge that is a bit irregular with a whitish area and a brown dot. The dr. just said it was atypical/dysplastic but nothing of concern. I don't really remember this mole so I don't know how new it is, if it's changed, etc.

I recently moved back to the US so I thought, well I'll go to the new dr. and see what he thinks. First of course I called my old dr and he said he found nothing suspicious on me in late May. Then I went to the new dr. last Thursday, he checked me all over, said he didn't see anything of concern, yes some of my moles are a bit atypical but he doesn't remove moles on that basis. I said this mole was scaring me so he said, ok, I'll remove it if it will help you sleep at night. He did and said we'll call you in 4/5 days after the we get the lab results. I freaked out! If it is nothing, why send it to the lab?

I'm convinced that my old derm missed something, my new derm secretly suspects melanoma and doesn't want to tell me and/or I have some kind of melanoma that presents in a unique way and it is aggressive and my doctors have been remiss in some way and basically I am doomed.

My husband says all my moles look the same to him, I've had two body checks in 6 months and if the doctors were concerned they would have told me, I'm 8 1/2 months pregnant and this could stretch out my moles or make them darker and I'm just hypersensitive these days. I know I should believe all this, it's logical, but I just can't. I have 2 or 3 more days to wait for the lab results and I just don't know how I'm going to get through them and I'm so depressed I can't focus on my new baby who is due in the next 2 weeks.

Sorry for the long post and vent.

Re: Waiting for mole biopsy results

Hi and

They have to send all moles to be checked as a matter of course. This is normal practice so I would stop worrying about that now.

Good luck with the new baby but please stop worrying about the mole so you don't get stressed!

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Welcome and congratulations on your imminent arrival
    Its normal protocol to send all moles to be tested, doesnt mean anything. Be calm for your baby, and good luck with the birth, how wonderful for you! You will be fine Im sure x deep breaths...good luck xx

Hi, Yes moles do change while pregnant. They usually go back to looking the way they were after pregnancy. They tend to get a bit darker. All moles have to be sent to pathology. Anything that is cut off must be tested no matter what. I had a skin tag cut off and they had to test that aswell. You seem very well on top of your skin so I wouldnt worry. ))

I do know rationally that I have been on top of my skin issues, I go to the dermatologist more than anyone I know, but can't help feeling that I've not been completely thorough and vigiliant and somehow let this one slip through my fingers and now I'm doomed

Thread Information