Thread: constant feeling of wanting to urinate

constant feeling of wanting to urinate

Hello everyone I am new here

I am currently suffering a bout of depression and have flu as well so particularly low at the moment. I am on Prozac and am waiting for it to kick in as it is the only thing that gets me back on track.

I am really worried though as I have developed a new symptom of constantly wanting to go to the toilet, it only started tonight and now means that I cant sleep. Could this be linked to the depression and anxiety?

Jacky

Re: constant feeling of wanting to urinate

Frequent urination is linked to anxiety. It's part of the fight or flight response, you're body wants to get rid of heavy waste material. I haven't taken prozac, so I don't know if that's a side effect to urinate more.

It's really important that you don't try to fix it by limiting your liquid intake as it can just cause more problems. The one thing you can do is not have a drink just before bed.

The less you think about, the less you need to go, but it's so hard not to!

Anyway, please don't worry about it, but obviously speak to your doc if you're concerned

Long sufferer of health anxiety but *shush* it's a secret! Adverse to meds.

"Getting information off the internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant" (Mitchell Kapor)

Hello, if you read the thread under "Health Anxiety" entitled:
    " Everyone please: Symptoms Questionnaire"
    you will see that this issue comes up quite a lot. I suspect it is linked to adrenalin.

Just to be sure, I would mention it to your GP, they can do a dipstick test at the surgery to check for infection, don't worry though I'm sure it's anxiety related.

Sorry, I don't know how to put the link in for you.

Hi Its all part of Anxiety and when I get very anxious I have to keep urinated every 3 or 4 times per hour. Once you are less anxious and more relaxed you will go back to normal.

Thanks for the replies.

Just an update I have now had the urge to constantly pee since Wednesday evening and I am going out of my mind. I am convinced it is anxiety and so am just hoping it will pass once my meds kick in and my mind settles down. I am constantly thinking about this sensation and cant switch my mind off. I have been on antibiotics for 4 days for a chest infection so know that it cant be a water infection.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I wouldn't assume you don't have a UTI - it could be resistant to the antibiotic you have for the chest infection. As others have said, it could be anxiety but it might be worth having a sample tested.

I've got a doctors appt first thing in the morning and am going to take a sample with me. Although the dr I saw last week said that the antibiotics she gave me would treat both.

See what they say. I only know that I had a UTI a couple of months ago and the only antibiotics that were going to work for it were pretty specific, due to the type of infection I had being resistant to various ones like amoxycillin. I hope you feel better soon.

Thread Information