Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sertraline and cold and flu

Sertraline and cold and flu

Hi everyone, I have been on Sertraline for about 6 months now, started with 50mg then went up to 100mg.

I can feel a cold coming on and don't know if i can take cold and flu pills. i have been looking about in the forums and i know i shouldn't take ibuprofen, and i know paracetamol is ok, but what about cold and flu pills (tesco's own or lemsip pills) i don't want to get any bad side effects, so was wondering what everyone else has experienced?

Many Thanks

Re: Sertraline and cold and flu

I take ibruprofen, is that bad?

check with the pharmacist...they will know :-D xxxx its better to check xxxx

Calm is right Becks - you need to be careful of some decongestants

If you find out what's ok and what is not please post back, I'm having the same issue, just that it's about headaches, not cold/flu. Is paracetamol really safe? I mean, did a doctor tell you that? If yes, it would be a lifesaver for me :P

Hi Skin,

thankfully today my cold doesn't seem too bad so i should be able to get through it without taking anything, i was just panacking as i thought i would be as bad as my mum is (she is stuck in bed with this cold)

My next appointment with the Dr is Tuesday 19th, so it is quite far away, i will ask him then, but i think in the meantime i might pop down and see my pharmacist and see what he has to say, i will post anything i find out

Just got back from the pharmacist and she really put my mind at rest, this is what she said

as i have been on sertraline for a while now i should not have any problems if i take cold and flu pills - any brand. i showed her what i wanted to take - Lemsip max all in one cold and flu capsules. Ingredients are - paracetamol 500mg, phenylephrine hydrochloride 6.1mg, and guaifenesin 100mg. and she said it was fine for me to take this.

also she said that i could take echinacea. one or two tablets a day for 2 weeks max, and that should boost my immune system to help ward off any cold.

of course some people may have some side effects, it is always possible, so i'm going to try a cold and flu capsule and see what happens, hopefully it will be ok

thank you for the info!

Why can't I take Ibuprofen, I have :| Oops?

Dahlia is offline Intermediate Member

It never occurred to me that I couldn't take certain OTC cold/pain meds with sertraline - and I have done for years! I've never experienced any problems taking paracetamol, codeine, aspirin, cold/cough syrups. I do, however, find I sometimes get acid pain if I take Ibuprofen too regularly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information