Thread: friends not understanding because you don't take ADDs

friends not understanding because you don't take ADDs

Hi

Have not posted for yearsssssssss. Still have panic attacks but general anxiety is much better. I think that now i am 49 getting to a certain age Hate to say it Menopause my hormones are all over the shop and i am having more panic attacks. But what is getting me down is that my one best friend who also suffers with anxiety but takes ADDs thinks that because i do not take them that i cannot expect comfort and understanding. When i tell her i am having a hard time with the panic attacks she just says well what do you expect you are not helping yourself you wont take tabs, that hurts me as i have over the years tried the tabs but nothing has really helped me. So i just think why start now if i have gone all this time without taking them. My daughter also thinks the same thing. I suppose i just feel sorry for myself, as you know what its like to have a panic attacks and you just want some kind words. I also feel like i cannot say anything now as i am only going to get that kind of reaction which makes me sad.

Just wondered if others have had freinds like that. how did you cope.

Its a lonely business this having anixety.

pauline

Re: friends not understanding because you don't take ADDs

Hi Pauline,

It is a lonely business at times having anxiety, especially as friends and family don't always understand your needs or issues. I don't take any medication and there are lots of others that choose to manage their condition without medication.

There are other paths you can take with lifestyle, CBT, Yoga, Pilates just to name a few. I hope you find the right way for you to deal with your anxiety soon; meantime talk to your friend and daughter and explain that you do not feel that medication is the route you wish to take but their support and understanding would be greatly appreciated while you try other avenues to recovery. Not everything can be cured by taking a pill.

Remember their are always friends here that understand, you are not alone you are a NMP family member

Lynnann

thank you so much for replying to me.

Have had a horrible panic attack today which has really knocked me back. As i have been clear of having panic in the day time for some years. think its mostly hormones playing a part in the panic. i have tried to say that meds do not suit me over the years ( i have suffered anxiety and panic attacks for 20 years) i have tried different meds but i have never got on with them i do accept that is alot it is my problem as i hate the side effects and i give up. i did try one for 6 weeks but then i had a really bad panic attack and i never took it again.

For some years now i have doing ok. It gets me down that my one good friend is not more understanding she just says i only have myself to blame as i will not take meds so i should just shut up and put up really. As you say i shall just have to come on here more.

Hi Pauline,

I hope you are having a better day today

Lynnann

hi there, i havent posted since july, as i dont seem to be able to find anybody who understands this nightmare i am in! i was working 20 years ago when i started getting palpitations and feeling panicky, well since then i couldnt work as i developed fear of travelling fatique and depression, i have ben on anti depressants in the past, but i dont take anything now, i get days where i cant make desisions, about going out, its like some must be hormonal, as i went through the menapuse about 10 years ago, i am 58. i have been on courses to help with self confidence, and sometimes i cannot take it all in, i would love to go on holiday, if i could travel, i have two children, both have their own families, i see my son, but i sometimes feel a burden to my partner and son, i cae for my elderley mother, who is 88, and she doesnt really understand this, i try to think positive, but it is so hard. i dont want to sound like i feel sorry for myself, as i suppose people will think,i have had loads of resposibility in the last five years, and it knocks me back again, i was going to holland and barrett on sunday to try and get a menapusal tablet for some of this. any suggestions would be appreciated, as i know their are women out their in the some boat. i hope i dont sound like a prat, i am very sincere. thanks

Hi Lavender123

Sorry this post is late and you might have already been to holland and barret for something.

I got a friend to get me something from there on Friday after looking on internet and from talking to others what they take. So i got Menosan which is a sage tinture you put drops in a little water you can get tabs but i don't think holland and barret sell the tablets. i also got Dormeasan for sleeping. Though just thinking about your post and perhaps menopausel stuff is not what you need. I also take Magnolia @ Rhodiola complex which has helped me greatly over the years you can only buy that on line, though i think with the change of hormones its not helping so much now thats why i'm taking stuff for the menopause. Hope this helps

Pauline

Thread Information