Thread: Excercise

Excercise

Hey everyone,

Just a quick one.... how do people go with keeping fit etc..... they say its good for anxiety and depression but sometimes when i do it i get so scared of my heart beating faster etc and palps that it pisses me off!!!!

what do you to to calm urself or say to urself before you exercise to keep level headed?

Cheers

Jarrod

Re: Excercise

Depends what exercise your doing,i lift weights and do a bit of cardio if i notice my heart racing i tend to just take a coulpe of mins rest,then carry on you do get used to it if you on a tread mill start by walking then speed it up gradualy exercise has helped me alot.Hope it works for you too

Hi Jarrod

I keep anxiety at bay by going to the gym. When I first started going, I had a panic on the first session, and high anx for a couple of weeks, but I stuck with it and after 5 or so trips, the anxiety started to subside.

It's just getting over the first few sessions I found stressful.

Jaco

Hi Jarrod

When anx is really bad i get on my bike, i can go as slow or as fast as i need to burn off all the adrenaline!, also find walking the dog great as well.
    start of slow and just build up, your heart does not have to be racing for it to be of benefit recent studies have suggested that a stroll in a park or anywhere that is a green space can lift our mood

Hi Jarrod,
    I bought myself a gymball and dvd and at first like jaco said I was full of anx and palps but kept with it and they got fed up and left! I actually feel quite good after a workout so sometimes if Im feeling particularly down I get out the gymball and have twenty minutes, always guarenteed to make me feel better.

I have the same problem. I go to the gym twice a week and when I'm there, all I can think about is my heart. I avoid checking my HR on the machines as I'm afraid if I see it 'Too high' that it will spin me into a panic so I just tell myself that exercise is good for my heart and the more I do it the healthier it will be. It just makes sense. It's loads better than sitting at home and doing nothing. Stick to water aswell, don't drink Lucozade. And remember to start off slow and then when you're finished slow down before you stop so your heart rate is eased down after a session.

i have the same props mate i never used to but this last yr i have i feel slight dizzy when im done i also worry bout my blood pressure so i never push myself i do 30 Min's a day every day u have to just get in there and do it i think but make sure u warm up and down

Thanks guys, glad im not the only one!!

Before my anxiety/panic disorder, I used to work out at the fitness center several times a week. (I'm 56 year old female). Then I started to get tachycardia (up in the 160's heart rate) and they said I was fine, EKG's normal, just panic.
    Now I haven't exercised for almost a year except some walks. I joined the fitness center, but as soon as I see my pulse going over 90, I start panicking. All those episodes at the ER with a fast pulse scared me so much. The doctors tell me to go ahead and exercise, but how do you ever get over the fear of your pulse going up? I'm always afraid I'll panic and it'll go way up there again (which it has). The only good thing, is that I am getting better with relaxing myself when that happens and I can usually get it to slow down pretty fast now.
    Any suggestions? I sure do miss doing cardio workouts and running.

Hi jo, this is exactly how i am, i would love to go to the gym wiv my sis, but im sooo scared to see my pusle go up that it would freak me out, i do walk quite a bit and starting to do a bit of swimming at my own pace..

Thread Information