Thread: Toilet fear ruining my life, help!

Toilet fear ruining my life, help!

I'm 17 & really should be out there enjoying my life & instead I am always stuck at home through fear of going out incase I need to use the loos. It's very embarrassing, people who know me think I don't like going out because I'm shy and afraid to talk to people, that may well be correct, but that really doesn't bother me in the slightest, it's the fear of needing the loo that gets to me. On the rare occassions I do go out the day before I get really anxious and the morning is worse as you can imagine. It's not that I'm afraid of using public toilets (even though they are horrible!) I don't really have a main reason, it just makes me incredibly worried. That makes it worse, as anxiety speeds up the digestive system! I really need some help, I'm miserable with my life at the moment and I fear that I am loosing my teenage years - time that should be enjoyed! Please help :(

Re: Toilet fear ruining my life, help!

I really HATE using public toilets, especially being a male, I find that if I go in and all the cubicles are full but there are a lot of free urinals I just turn around and try and hold it and everyone looks at me like "did he just come in here to have a peek?" Haha.
    You should do things nice and slow, try and go out for more time every time you go out and try and work yourself around to using the loo's outside if you feel the need, eventually you'll become immune to the thoughts maybe because trial and error is the only way your brain learns that things aren't to be feared.

Dear Jaydee I'm sorry that you are suffering like this. Undertaking a therapy such as hypnosis might help to uncover what you are actually afraid of in a safe setting? As you know the fear of needing the loo or having an accident is much worse than the actual feared situation happening. The anxiety will make you need the loo more and you will fear situations where there isn't a loo nearby? I have had hypnosis for other anxiety based problems so I know that it can work. It might be something that you can ask your GP about. You have done well to name the fear and that will go some way in helping you to tackle it. EJ.

Its ironic, coz for me, the toilet is a coping mechanism for my social anxiety.

Without this, I wouldnt have a hiding place during my break periods at work. But I also recognise that this does damage to reputation/credibility of peers and colleagues alike. Its my best friend and worst enemy, all rolled into one.

Thread Information