Thread: Send me to the party

Send me to the party

Hi all,

I have only recently started to suffer with panic/anxiety attacks since christmas.

Im finding it all very hard as it seems to have taken over very fast, already i am finding it hard to go out and do anything,

I was once a very outgoing, happy, confident person and now feel that i am living someone elses life.

Im 21 and dont even want to go down my local pub or club any more which at one stage you would have had to drag me away from.

I have a friends 21 birthday coming up and i really want to celebrate with her, she is having a fancy dress party at a local snooker club and as much as i want to go i am already sarting to panic about it.

If anyone has any help or sugestions it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
    Karlie xxx

KM

Reading for sufferers of Panic Attacks, Anxiety, Phobias and OCD.

hey carlie have you read claire weekes books on trying to cope better with these things. you can get them online from th e above site, or in any good book shops

it will really help i promise
    let us know if you do get it and if you make it to the party
    jackie

Hi Karlie,

You have said yourself that you want to go. Only you can make the final decision but when I have been in situations like this I always try and go, for my friends really.

It is hard not to panic about it, thinking about it makes it all worse. It is hard but I just try not to think/worry about it too much. I always plan everything I can so I feel prepared (e.g. travel, clothes - although fancy dress might be a little harder! etc) and then just get on with things until the day comes.

The more you imagine something, the worse your imaginings become. And it usually works out to be nothing like you imagined anyway! Or maybe that's just me!

Anyway, good luck with your decision and I hope it goes really well for you if you decide to go.

Tammy x

Hi Karlie xx

I am in very similar situations to you.
    I was invited to my friends 21st a few weeks back and it was a school themed fancy dress party and i like you really didnt want to go.

Well with support off here I ended up going even though on the day I felt like crap but I managed to pluck up the courage and told myself even if I only go for an hour at least iv shown my face.
    Well I ended up going and once I relaxed I ended up staying the WHOLE NIGHT!! I was so chuffed with myself and believe me if I can do it so can you xx

If you would like a chat feel free to pm me xx
    I would be happy to help you as I know exactly how you feel xx
    I suffer with General anxiety/panic disorder and agrophobia xx

Hope to hear from you soon xx
    Laura xx

Hi Karlie

I do understand how hard it is and we start to isolate ourselves from situations we feel we cant face. In reality though with anxiety the thought is sometimes a lot worse than the actual occasion. I hope you do try to go however hard it is for you and if you go and have a good time that is something solely you have accomplished and will give you back some of the confidence you have lost.

Best of luck hun.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".

Hi Karlie,

I know exactly how you feel as this is the way I feel anytime I’m invited to anything I always start to worry and panic. What I have been told is that what you have to remember no one knows how you feel or what you are thinking and generally when I go that’s what I tell myself.

I really hope you manage to go but it may be advisable to avoid drink because although at the time it is great my personal experience is that the morning after is really bad. I have always found this and I takes a few days to recover but I hope you havea good time.

Robert

Karlie

Can you decide to go but have plan B and C in case. I was ablew to push myself much more once I knew I had safety plans.

Not the way a CBT person would recommend but it does help in the initial stages to have a bit of a crutch to lean on.

Hope you have a lovely time

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

Hi Karlie

I feel exactly like you to when someone mentions going to a party/do. Is there someone you will be able to go with for support?
    Once you get there i bet you will have a great time & do'nt forget to let us know how it goes.

Take Care & keep positive

Alex

Many People Will Walk
    In & Out Of Your Life
    But Only True Friends
    Will Leave Footprints
    In Your Heart

Thankyou all very much, i am gonna give it a good go and not give myself the chance to make up bad excuses
    xxx Karlie xxx

KM

hello Karlie,try not to dwell on the fear aspect but more the fun you will have,easier said than done I KNOW!But it does helpto train your thought to dwell on the positive and try not to look for the fear cause that is what do!I became agoraphobic as i slowly gave up on goin out,'just in case i had apanic'.Well now i have started goin places with people.i am actually goin to a concert tomorrow and i REFUSE to let the fear rule me.i WILLhave GREAT TIME ,I SEE IT IN MY MIND SO IT WILL BE SO!Try some pos thinkin,and enjoy your party.love mary-rose.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

we are all in the same boat and can guide each other ashore

Thread Information