Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Only one way to find out..

Only one way to find out..

I have been debating for a while whether it's time to stop taking the Citalopram and see if I can continue to manage a normal (ish!) life without medication.

Funnily enough, the weekend I have just had, although good, has necessitated a heck of a lot of travelling and there have been many situatons out of my control..just the stuff to raise the anxiety levels!

I have had a few sensations of panic but realise this is down to heightened anxiety which should settle down soon.

I have given it serious thought and didn't take my 20 mg last night as per usual, I will go with the flow and see how I feel. I have been advised against just stopping and I know the advice is sound but I really cannot bear the idea of "weaning off" by lowering the dose, I would rather get it over with!

Bearing in mind I am quite prepared to eat my words if necessary () but anyway..wish me luck?

Ta

Re: Only one way to find out..

Hi Angie
    So wonderful you feel its time to bite the bullet and come off meds...positive step!! At least you WANT to try and thats the main thing of course.
    I would have to agree though about reducing the dose over a number of weeks...healthier way to do it for mind and body.
    You'll do it I just know you will...be safe though.
    Thinking of you, and wishing you all good things my friend. xxxxxx

Hi Angie
    Its good that you feel you want to try coming off Citalopram and you know all the side effects of suddenly stopping, rather than weaning off them, but be careful because it could make you very unwell by stopping them abruptly.

Good luck Ladybird, I'm glad you've got to this place. If cold turkey proves too much to handle you haven't lost anything, just go back on them and do it slowly

good luck! i have come off sris in the past cold turkey and everything seemd brighter/louder and my heart rate fast for 2 wks but then it passed. i am down to 5mg cit - i have taken a year to wean myself off but now cannot wait any longer so instead of going to 2.5mg i have stopped yesterday and got a 2 week course of beta blockers to take the edge off any anxiety. GOOD LUCK!

Thanks for all your replies everyone, your kind thoughts are much appreciated.

Joanna, seems like we stopped at the same time..wanna compare notes?

I'm ok actually, got the headache from hell and I'm a bit fuzzy headed, brain and mouth seem to be disconnected at the moment but that's it.
    I'm not on the lookout for symptoms so shall see how it goes.

Good luck to you too!

hi ladybird

3 days since i stopped my 2.5mg - my jaw feels a bit strange and i feel like different muscle groups are tensing up - last night my stomach was so tight i could hardly breathe. mentally i don;t feel too bad.

i have stopped mine as i have finally cottoned on to that my episodes happen after a build up of stress and that i am my own worst enemy - that i literally pile stress on myself through lifestyle choices etc so even though my anxiety is high at present - i want to see if i can start with a clean slate. it feels scary but exciting in a way - i have been on ssris for 7 years and so not taking them feels a bit strange!

after reading your excellent reply to Happycamper, it seems as though you have been in a good frame of mind recently but maybe now having a slight blip.

if you go cold turkey you run the risk of it hitting you hard? is it not best to reduce slowly, 20,15,10,5?

good luck whichever you decide. your reply to happycamper is very true and is inspirational to others.

Thinking of you Ange .Hope you coping ok ? let us know how you are doing when you feel up to it .Luv Sue x

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Now then you naughty LadyBird

You know that coming off these meds "cold turkey" is strictly against NMP Rule No 777 which states: "Those attempting citalopram withdrawal too abruptly will be in for a big shock - including MM's wrath..."

But seriously, I came off paroxetine after 7 years and I won't lie it was difficult. But you haven't been on citalopram for that length of time and on a moderate dose. Furthermore, citalopram withdrawal isn't as harsh as paroxetine. I do understand all the faffing about with dose reduction and I'd rather get it over with as soon as possible too.

If you run into any unforeseen trouble then you could try 10mg for a while, then nothing. However I hope it all goes to plan.

Good luck dear comrade!

Never Surrender, Comrade

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information