Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: just started cbt

Re: just started cbt

Quote Originally Posted by European View Post

I've come across not just one thread on here where somebody was almost being talked out of either starting CBT, or they were actively thinking of quitting it just after they had started on account of the accumulated negative responses.
    Sorry but you will have to help me out here - I don't recall seeing threads like that at all. You repeatedly make spurious claims like this and are never willing too back them up.

I've also come across at least a couple of posts where people had just started therapy and stated their therapist told them to avoid this particular forum.
    "At least a couple" isn't the same as "many". You are (belatedly) right, there have been "a couple" but as far as I remember they have involved people who were spending a very large amount of time on NMP and wasn't anything to do with what was actually being said. You are very good at twisting things to suit your argument when thy don't actually fit at all.

... and the frequent abject negativity of some people concerning therapy, and particularly CBT, on here in the first place.
    Another false claim with no supporting evidence.

And no, I don't see why it should be "unfair" to point this out.
    The unfairness lies in your unjustified criticisms of NMP members - negative and ignorant today, nice. There's an awful lot of people on here who I'd say were very positive in trying to get on with their lives the best they can when it would be very easy just to give up. As for ignorant? Just because people don't subscribe to your "only one thing works" argument doesn't make them/us ignorant.

She said, I'm tired of the war
    I want the kind of work I had before

There are plenty of examples of people being discouraged as regards CBT on here, and I find it ironic that even on a thread that could pose as such an example you, JaneC, are denying this aspect. You might not want to see certain things, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. Sadly, they do.

Personally, I think it's you that's seeing things that aren't there. Where in this thread is anybody being discouraged to try CBT? Especially seeing as the original poster seemed to be doing something that was based far more on exposure therapy than any CBT I have experience of.

Exposure is part of CBT, and yes, I have realised that that's what you have a problem with. Which is fine, don't get me wrong, but only because you are shirking exposure doesn't mean it would be wrong for other people. Because it can be very effective and beneficial, and anybody wanting to overcome their anxiety or panic, as opposed to establish it firmly into their lives, will have to overcome themselves and expose themselves to some degree sooner or later. That's the reality of the condition - there are no other ways out. It's as simple as that.

Exposure in terms of going out and facing situations was NOT part of the CBT I did with a psychiatrist but I most certainly don't shirk it. In fact, every day I go out and face situations that make me, or have in the past, made me feel anxious or panicked. There is one situation I avoid and I am aware that it is a problem that I avoid it. Don't presume to know anything about me - because you don't - and you most certainly don't have the right to make judgemental comments about me and the way I live my live, particularly when they are based on completely inaccurate assumptions on your part.

Exposure IS part of CBT in some shape or form - the whole point of it is to become active and hands-on and move towards gradually confronting one's problems, as opposed to merely talking about them. That is the strength of CBT, and why all the research clearly shows that it's the most successful treatment for anxiety, panic, OCD, and a handful of other conditions. Rail against it as much as you like, the success of CBT speaks for itself!

Who the heck is railing against it and where?

I'm beginning to think you have really lost the plot and have some kind of persecution complex.

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Exposure IS part of CBT in some shape or form - the whole point of it is to become active and hands-on and move towards gradually confronting one's problems, as opposed to merely talking about them. That is the strength of CBT, and why all the research clearly shows that it's the most successful treatment for anxiety, panic, OCD, and a handful of other conditions. Rail against it as much as you like, the success of CBT speaks for itself!
    And what is this success rate? I think the success rate depends on many factors, like the patient's individual circumstances (eg, severity/type of problem), the individual therapist and their approach, the patient's outlook, duration of therapy etc.

You take a very clinical and empirical approach to something far, far more complex than you are willing to admit.

As I've said before, I am not against CBT but at the same time I don't hold your one-size-fits-all view.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Could we get back to the subject in question, please?

Ah, we are back on track. Good!

"You take a very clinical and empirical approach to something far, far more complex than you are willing to admit." >Melancholia77

On the basis of my research and personal experience, yes. It's a good and rather pragmatical start. I do not intend to write a Ph.D. about it, but am considerably more interested in the application of CBT in my life and concerning my problems.

Which is, at least for my purposes, more efficient than getting all mealy mouthed and hiding behind some blown up complexity.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information