Thread: does anybody else have rituals

does anybody else have rituals

as the title says does anybody?Mine are silly things that involve going for a poo.Ihave to wear my ipod[cant hear any suspious splashes etc]or cannot look at my hands till i have washed them after poo.....loads more and they ruin my day.The one thing i have learned is that any trivial incident on the loo is the most important thing in my life at that time....until something else happens....then next day i struggle to remember what that was

Re: does anybody else have rituals

Yea a lot of people do! I have to check my pulse the minute I wake up and before I go to bed. I used to write them down to compare them over the days and work out averages etc but I stopped that as it was getting a little TOO obsessive and not helping. When I have a missed beat or paticularly painful chest pain I have to count to 100 so nothing bad will happen and if I mess up I have to start again cuz it has to be perfect! x

Most Drs say that health anxiety is just one manifestation of obsessive compulsive disorder and I personally agree with this as its our lack of control over our bodies that freaks us the most. Although i don't have rigid rituals as such I hate not being in control and find that any situation where I feel out of control give me same feelings as I get when I have a health symptom and don't know what it is so assume this is my problem. I am also extremely clean and very tidy and organised and cannot bear clutter but not tot he point of it affecting my daily life but again I think it is all connected.

Nevermind....
    Last edited by Davyboy; 11-11-10 at 09:38.

I don't know if i would call mine rituals but i have such a routine that should anything come along to disrupt it i go into panic mode big time. I have to do the same things on the same days etc or i go haywire.

know this isn't much help to you but just wanted to let you know you are not alone.

Quote Originally Posted by countrygirl View Post
    Most Drs say that health anxiety is just one manifestation of obsessive compulsive disorder and I personally agree with this as its our lack of control over our bodies that freaks us the most. Although i don't have rigid rituals as such I hate not being in control and find that any situation where I feel out of control give me same feelings as I get when I have a health symptom and don't know what it is so assume this is my problem. I am also extremely clean and very tidy and organised and cannot bear clutter but not tot he point of it affecting my daily life but again I think it is all connected.

You have just described me to a tee!

it isnt just the ritual but the aftermath when you start doubting yourself.Was that blood i saw ?then i stress for hours before going to the toilet[if i can]for reassurance.I know the symptoms for bowel cancer but if everything is not perfect i have to return to the loo.Thats why the ritual is so important so i minimise any so called threats.

Thread Information