Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Panic attacks during pregnancy?

Panic attacks during pregnancy?

Hello everyone,

If you are reading this post you are probably suffering with panic attacks, and as this is not bad enough you are pregnant as well. I have a great interest in panic disorder, and more specifically in women who keep having panic symtoms after the beginning of their pregnancy. Although there is so much research around panic disorder, there is nothing at the moment to explain why some women stop having panic attacks when they become pregnant while others keep feeling terrified.

As part of my Doctorate in Counselling Psychology I am conducting research to answer this exact question. I am hoping with this post to get an idea of how many people are interested. Thank you for taking the time to read this, and please don't hesitate to reply if you want more information.

Thank you
    Rania
    Last edited by Rania1; 03-06-11 at 13:46.

Re: Panic attacks during pregnancy?

Hi, I would like more information on this. Thank you.

Hello Lucy,
    thank you for your reply. As I mentioned I am carrying out this study to understand the reasons behind the different reactions regarding panic symptoms women have during pregnancy. However, as there is nothing similar done so far, the first step would be to understand the experience of pregnant women who still have these symptoms. An interview will take place around December/January lasting about 1 hour and 30 minutes where by using open questions I will try together with the person to make sense of their experience. Women at any stage of their pregnancy can take part as long as they fit the criteria for panic disorder. In case that the person is not certain about the diagnosis, help will be provided from myself to explain the criteria.
    The participation is voluntary and the person is free to withdraw at any time, without giving any reason. Confidentiality and anonymity are guaranteed and by the end of the interview there will be enough time for questions and relevant information. The place of the interview can be arranged depending on the circumstances of each person. If you find it difficult to leave your house, I could visit you there. Anyone taking part will be kept informed of the progress of the study and of the findings.

I hope this helps and if you want to discuss this further you are more than welcome to send me a private message
    Rania

I came to this site specifically because my panics and GAD have re appeared now im pregnant - please help

Jo x

i have had 3 pregnancies and births since having GAD and panic attack also agoraphobia.

Hello Jo and willitstop,
    I both send you a private message asking a couple of things,
    thank you
    Rania

Great idea for a study. I hope to have a baby in the future, but I worry about my anxiety making it hard. It would be interesting to read your results, so keep us in the loop!

Im due in 5 weeks and petrified.. i know birth is scarey for any woman but to go through it with panic disorder too im dreading, this is my 3rd child and other 2 i didnt suffer panic as bad and want on cit, can i request a c section due to my panic so its over with rather than the long panic through the whole labour?

Your ob dr. would be the best to discuss your request of a c section.
    I do hope you can find some distractions to ease your panic.

I would be interested in this information thanks!

The entire time I was pregnant up until the last couple of months ( She is now 14 m/os old ) I was panic free.

I am actually started to wonder if something in the 'pregnancy hormones' is the reason why I remained panic free, I have read that they can stay in your system for up to 12 months after having a baby. In the last few weeks the panic attacks have started again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information