Thread: depression from realising you have anxiety not a physical illness!

depression from realising you have anxiety not a physical illness!

Hi there! I have been feeling depressed since I have began to realise that my physical symptoms are actually being caused by my mental state and not a physical illness. I can't believe this realisation has made me feel worse!! Has anyone had a similiar experience?
    Thanks.

Re: depression from realising you have anxiety not a physical illness!

Hi there

I am exactly the same, i suffered with this a couple of years ago came off the tabs april this year and back on them again as of yesterday...... i wake up every morning with the fear of dread which lasts most of the day, and this feeling it really gettin me down allowing me to cry and not snap out of it..... i sometimes feel like im goin mad, but i have to be strong as i have two babies to look after.

Hopefully my tabs should work soon and ill be able to live my life better, are you on any medication and what has caused yours?

Hi amethyst . Not quite the same but I suffer from chronic fatigue syndrome and every time I've had blood tests I've got my hopes up that they'd find something treatable (nothing too nasty) and I've always been on a huge downer when they don't find anything. Are you having any treatment?

I can relate... I'm having a tough time at the moment. My anxiety has kicked in and I've spent the last 3 weeks feeling anxious. It's difficult to stay positive I know, but you have to try. I wake up and just feel 'blah'. All I have in my head is my partner telling me, 'it won't last forever, you will snap out of it', yet all I can think about is... 'when? 3 weeks turns into 3 months, which turns into 6 months and being anxious is so draining'. But you have to stay positive, because thing is.... you WILL snap out of it. You will! You just have to keep pushing, keep hoping, and stay positive.

Well said ama

You are right YOU can beat anxiety.. you are never beaten til you give up the fight and although anxiety is a mental state not a physical one but it doesnt mean you cant beat it

Marc xx

Hi everyone! Thank you for your replies. Jen and JaneC, I am not on any medication but I am going to see my doctor next week - it doesn't help that I am scared of taking medication!! I have started counselling as I can't talk to anyone how I feel so I will see how it goes. I am not sure what caused my anxiety, Jen, but it has slowly been getting worse from my second daughters' birth ( I have 3 children). How about you, what caused your anxiety? Ama and Panic Over, thank you for your positive comments, but it is so hard to believe that I won't feel like this forever. Thanks again. x

To be honest, I'm not sure what caused my anxiety. I saw a counsellor for a bit when I was 22 and she seemed to think my parents divorce may have triggered it, but I don't know. I did use to put all my energy into trying to figure out what caused it and how I can get rid of it, but now, I think what's the point? By knowing what caused it how will that help me? And getting rid of it... well... that's not going to happen. But learning to DEAL with it, that's what I need to do.

I've done a lot of research over the years and for me, staying positive and making some changes in my life has helped. I don't drink that much alcohol, I don't have caffeine and I make sure that I take my time, do things at my own pace, yet push myself also and fill my head with positive thoughts. I use to avoid all kinds of situations, family get together's, meeting friends, holidays because I'd just get so anxious but now I try to make decisions on what I WANT. Do I want to meet up with my friends in London? Yes, ok, so lets plan on how I can go about doing this and feel comfortable. Rather than thinking, oh god, I can't do that, and make some excuse.

I don't believe there is a cure for anxiety, but you CAN make it easier on yourself. Most people that know me, know I'm anxious and I feel better for that as I don't have to make excuses if I'm in an uncomfortable situation. I also set out goals for myself of things I want to do. I did race for life this year. Something I was absolutely terrified of doing but I did it, because I wanted to and in fact it wasn't that scary, I think I might do it again next year.

Apologies for ranting, hope this is all helpful!

Anxiety is a normal response to stress or danger. At times it's helpful because it can help prepare the body for action, and it can improve performance in a range of situations.
    Anxiety becomes a problem when it's experienced intensely and it persistently interferes with a person's daily life.
    Depression and anxiety commonly occur together. Not everybody who is anxious is depressed, but most depressed patients have some symptoms of anxiety.,..copied,..nice information guys,..

Thread Information