Thread: Advice

Advice

Could someone please give me a bit of advise as to roughly how long it takes for your GP to refer you to a councillor and then how long it takes for a councillor to see you? I went to the GP 2 weeks ago and still haven't had a call from the councillor. This is through the NHS which I think will take longer.

I really feel like I need help asap and its frustrating me not knowing how long it will take and weather I should maybe go private.

I was also wondered if anyone has any tips for getting the neg thoughts out your head when they slip in.

If anyone knows of either questions I would love you to please help.

Re: Advice

Hi Ace

Right, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but once you are referred for therapy, depending on your area, it can take upto a whopping 18 months, but I have heard of people being put on waiting lists that were only 6 weeks.

I think you would be quite entitled after 2 weeks, to call your surgery for an update, and to get some idea of the waiting list in your area.

As for private, well if you can afford it, you will get to see a therapist a lot quicker, but it can be pricy (shop around and look for recommendations).

I assume that it's CBT therapy you are seeking if you are having trouble with negative thoughts. There is some pretty good self help books you may wish to try in the mean time.

I found Claire Weekes books great for health anxiety and general anxiety, but there is a few good books out there. Another one I read, that I am pretty sure was geared up for negative thinking was a book by Dr David D Burns, called "feeling good". I am pretty sure Amazon stock it.

I remember a user posted once, that when he had a negative thought, he would write it down on a column on the left, and on the right he would put comments.

For example, he might think "I am going on a train tomorrow, what if it crashes?"

To which in the right hand column, he would challenge these thoughts with: "How many times have I been on a train that crashed? how many journeys a day are taken on trains and there's an incident? What are the chances?"

The idea is to challenge the thought in a logical manner (easier to do when written down) and realise that you are over reacting to it.

Good luck

Jaco
    Last edited by Jaco45er; 18-10-10 at 14:55. Reason: Terrible, terrible, shameful, shocking, spelling

Re: Advice

thank you for the great advice, much appreciated!

Thread Information