Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Been referred to a Gastroentrologist

Been referred to a Gastroentrologist

I got a letter through the post today saying that something on my blood tests have remained slightly abnormal and that i have been referred to a Gastroentrologist.

I had no idea this was planned it's come completely out of the blue, The letter was dated a week ago, I presume this is the kind of thing you get seen quickly for?

I know it's to do with the stomach and Esophagus, I'll start worrying about Esophagus and Stomach Cancer again now

I presume i'm going to have to have a camera down my throat?

Re: Been referred to a Gastroentrologist

Don't worry if you do have to have a gastroscopy - just insist on being sedated and you won't know a thing about it - the sedation is great!

Quote Originally Posted by countrygirl View Post
    Don't worry if you do have to have a gastroscopy - just insist on being sedated and you won't know a thing about it - the sedation is great!
    Thanks, I will definitely insist on being sedated without a doubt.

MND is my number 1 worry but now as i have been referred to a Gastroentrologist i am going to start worrying about Esophagus Cancer, Stomach Cancer and Throat Cancer because of my problems swallowing.

If you have an endoscopy then dont worry about it, they normally load you up with diazepam and quite a lot of it (at least they did with me).

Also if it was something urgent remember they wouldnt refer you on - instead they would make an appointment. A GI referral can take a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by uk23 View Post
    If you have an endoscopy then dont worry about it, they normally load you up with diazepam and quite a lot of it (at least they did with me).

Also if it was something urgent remember they wouldnt refer you on - instead they would make an appointment. A GI referral can take a few months.
    Thanks, So your saying if they suspected something bad i would be seen in a week or two?

Dahlia is offline Intermediate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eggy View Post
    Thanks, So your saying if they suspected something bad i would be seen in a week or two?
    Definitely. They'd have you up the hospital ASAP. To give you an example, a little boy in my neighbourhood had blood tests done in a&e recently and they discovered he had leukemia - he was transferred immediately to the Royal Marsden hospital, literally 3 hours later and he was there. Try not to jump to the worst conclusion. There are lots of benign conditions that warrant referral, such as gastritis. It's far more likely that you have something benign than cancerous.

i am waiting for this test because of 4 months of stomach problems. i had one 3 years ago and it showed NOTHING whatsoever but this time i am getting really bad pains and acid.

i must pat myself on the back here lol and say it was very brave and did NOT have sedation! not a nice experience but totally copeable with and literally takes less than a minute!

uw du deffo be referred as a matter of URGENCY if they suspected any kind of cancer. keep this is mind. 99% of blood tests abnormalities are down to the body fighting off an infection or inflammation, nuffin to worry about. They would know if u had cancer or disease of any kind, as the bloods would show this up immediately. Relax

**** He who fears something gives it power over him.- Moorish proverb ****

**** You can conquer almost any fear if you will only make up your mind to do so. For remember, fear doesn’t exist anywhere except in the mind. - Dale Carnegie ****

I wasn't expecting to be seen until next year but my doctor has said i now need to be seen by a Gastroentrologist a.s.a.p and that it cannot wait, I'm dreading it because i am likely to have an Endoscopy to examine my Esophagus and Stomach, Especially as i have been having problems swallowing and stomach discomfort and pain for over 2 months now.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information