Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: my first panic attack

quote:Originally posted by sadie

Hi there,

Welcome to this great site! You will meet so many great and friendly people here who have felt like you so many times.

Im sorry that youe have suffered the last few weeks with your panic attacks, but now youv'e found this site you will learn so much about how to cope with them. The more you learn about the different symptoms, why they happen and what to do to prevent the symptoms the more confident you will feel and things will start to feel back to normal again.

Keep in touch.

sadie

Hello its mary again, please can someone help me im having abit of a panic! so i just came on to see if anyone was there but i dont know how to reply to any of my lovely messages, thankyou to eveyone who have sent me a message it is so comforting knowing you are all there. My husband has gone to work today and its the first time ive been left alone. The feelings all started as soon as i got up but i managed to get our foster child to shcool, i was so scared but i knew i had to do it, then i got home after alot of talking to myself in the car... i must of looked bonkers to other people. I got in doors and spoke to my mum but the feelings were still in me so i went to lay down and put on a relaxation tape on and tried to do my breathing which helped but things still kept worrying me in my head, so i thought i would come on the computer to see if anyone was there, im sorry if im hassleing ou all but i dont know what to do. My lovely husband just called me and tried to reasure me but im still feeling a bit frightened...why is this happening? after i saw my counsellor yesterday i felt so much better i feel like im going round the twist..Im now going to try and tidy the house to keep myself busy thankyou everyone again i am so so grateful x

Mary,

you are in no way hassling us!! that is why we are here.
    Youa re probably so wound up because you were anticipating being left alone.

You are not going round the twist but when I was at the 'peak' of anxiety I really thought i was going insane. Please let me assure you you are not and things do get better with a bit of work

How are you feeling ?
    What symptoms are you experiencing?

Is the housework helpling take your mind off things ( I know distraction helps for me)
    Can you put the radio on to a good music station or grab your fav CD and sing your lungs out? (even if u don't feel like doing it?
    Can you have a nice warm bath?

Let me know eh

Lucky

Hiya Mary,

Sorry to hear that you are having a bad day.

You are back home now, after managing to take your foster child to school.

You felt dreadful, but you still managed to do it!!

WELL DONE!!!!

The thing is when we wake up feeling apprehensive we feel as if this feeling is set in for the day and our minds take over and the bad feelings just grow.

You have a few hours now before you will have to go and pick your child up.

So, indulge yourself in whatever you feel like doing!

If you feel better being active, try to take yourself off for a walk.

Do the housework,put on some music and dance round the house! No one there to see you, so just go for it!!

Do you feel like a bit of pampering? If so, run yourself a nice bubbly bath, take the phone off the hook, and enjoy!

Do some more relaxation and breathing excercises.

Above all, do something, anything, which takes your mind away from the panicking, scary feelings. Distraction is the best way forward, I always find.

Anyway, give some or all of the above things a try!! Before you know it, it will be time to fetch your child from school and you will have survived another day!!!

Take care and keep posting!!!

Kate x

Whoops!!!

Think Lucky and me were both replying at the same time!!!

Kate x

I know Kate at least I know we are on the same wavelength and hopefully we are helping!!

mary - if you are happier sitting posting you know Kate and i are both here and will try and reply asap - others will probably post some time today as well if we are not managing to get on!!

Can I ask you why you decided to get into fostering? It is just i was fostered when I was younger (off and on) (family issues not because I was unruly)

lucky

quote:Originally posted by Lucky

Mary,

you are in no way hassling us!! that is why we are here.
    Youa re probably so wound up because you were anticipating being left alone.

You are not going round the twist but when I was at the 'peak' of anxiety I really thought i was going insane. Please let me assure you you are not and things do get better with a bit of work

How are you feeling ?
    What symptoms are you experiencing?

Is the housework helpling take your mind off things ( I know distraction helps for me)
    Can you put the radio on to a good music station or grab your fav CD and sing your lungs out? (even if u don't feel like doing it?
    Can you have a nice warm bath?

Let me know eh

Lucky
    oh thankyou for being there i dont know what im scared of i have lots of horrible feelings in my tummy im very tired i feel lonely abit faint and i feel alittle sick and i dont know how to use the computer properly i just want to feel normal iam so sorry to pour my heart out to you its so nice having someone there x

Mary,

To post all you have to do is start typing at the box on the bottom of this page and hit submit reply.

pls do not apologise to me i am happy to help remember I have been there (and still am in some respects) so I know exactly
    how you feel .

Can you have something light to eat to help your tummy?

lucky

Mary,

As Lucky says, there is no need to apologise!

I also suffer and know exactly how you are feeling!!

Are you trying some distraction, it really will help.

Kate x

Mary,

I'm hoping that distraction is working for you as there have been no more posts!!

Another thing to try is saying little positive things to yourself i.e

I'm doing fine
    I'm a strong person and I will get through this
    etc etc

You don't have to believe what u are saying but if you have some good ones keep on saying them to yourself to help counteract the negative messages your subconscius is telling you!!!

Can I ask you why you went into fostering ( i was fostered on/off when I was younger because of family problems) and is is something I wondered? (ps u don't have to answer if i am getting too personal!)

you don't have to answer this post if u don't want to or if ure distraction techniques are working

Take Care
    Lucky

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information