Thread: worried

worried

Hi everyone,
    I'm new here and have recently been hooked up with a 48 hour monitor to try to work out what my heartbeats are. I can be doing anything, relaxing or otherwise, and my heart skips a beat and I get a sinking pausing feeling like my body has stopped working for a few seconds. Then the heartbeat comes back and I get a headrush and sometimes an icy feeling in the top of my body. Sometimes I feel light headed with it. Also, when my heartbeat comes back it sometimes comes back very fast and feels different. The best way for me to deal with this is to be calm until it gets better. Hopefully there won't be anything bad on the monitor. It was captured on the monitor a couple of times. Has anyone else had this.
    Thanks
    Kazzy

Re: worried

Did you know that your heart beats on average around 120,000 per day?

I have this quite often, its not pleasant but only last a few seconds and it is definitely down to anxiety from what the doctor told me.

On a separate note, welcome to the forum.

btw, this forum section is mainly for questions about the forum, the technical side etc.

There is a Health Anxiety sub forum.

Hi Kazzie

Welcome to NMP.

I will move this thread to the symptoms page for you, where you will get more answers and more help there.

di x

Hi

If you read the other threads in this section you will see that lots of people have these. Ive had them for over twenty years since I was a teenager. Im sure you are worried, who wouldnt be? Can I suggest that you do whatever you need to with your GP to ascertain that your heart is ok - 24 hr monitir, scan etc. That will at least will hopefully settle you somewhat. What you describe is classic ectopic beats which are not an indication that somethign is wrong. It can be caused by anxiety but obviously they cause anxiety themselves simply be happening all the time. Please try not to worry, I got to the stage where I was just so sick of them.

So as I say tell your GP to do the full monty on your heart (referral to hosp). Then you will know that the structure and function of your heart is perfectly normal. Be insistent with the doc as they sometimes dont like referring and they do get lots of people with this stuff .Then once done its just a question of dealing with these annoying ectopics. Ive been on low dose betablocker (atenolol) for a week (months trial) and they had an immediate effect. Im not sure about some of the side effects but they certainly reduce the number of ectopics. I have three or four missed beats/chest thuds a day now whereas I used to have up to 70 or more. I wish id got them years ago. I just have to decide whether I want to keep on with them or not.

Thanks for your reply. Thing is, when my heart rate comes back it comes back very fast and can last between 45 minutes or 1 minuet, does this sound familiar. My cardiologist marked it 150 beats a minute until it got back to slowing down.
    I have these on a 48 hour monitor and the hospital now have it.
    karen

Thread Information