Thread: Scared to take antibiotics / Please help me

Scared to take antibiotics / Please help me

Hi There,
    I have psoriasis on my scalp and had a biopsy on Monday with 2 stitches to be removed on Monday. The stitches have healed fine but the area beside the biopsy is sore and red now and weeping a bit. The Doctor has given me antibiotics and knows I am scared to take them as I have had allergic reactions before. She said if I want i can monitor my scalp for a day or so before starting the tablets which I was happy to do but i have been reading on the net that by delaying antibiotics could make it spread and go in to my bloodstream or I could have MRSA. I am so scared as i am frightened to take the tablets but at the same time dont want to wait incase the infection gets worse. The Doctor said there is a 50/50 chance of me having to take the tablets. Please someone help me.

Re: Scared to take antibiotics / Please help me

Have you tried cleaning the wound with cooled boiled water and salt? Try wiping that over the wound every few hours today and see if that helps. Salt is a natural antiseptic that might help it heal.

Have you had reactions to antibiotics before ? Is you doctor aware of your allergy ?
    The best thing to do is ask your doctors advice , I'm afraid we cannot tell you what you should do in a case like this. Get on to your doc

Thanks for your help. Yes my Doctor is aware of which tablets I have had reactions with. She didnt say that I def have to start the tablets today but to keep an eye on it for a day or so then start if it gets worse or no better. I am so scared to take the tablets. I never used to worry about taking things until I got reactions

Thanks again

The only antibitiotic (A/B) I know of that can cause a serious reaction is penicillin, it should say on the box if it is penicillin. Otherwise, you MAY get a sore tummy/the runs/feel sick, common side effects of A/Bs.

I had A/Bs for 2 years when I was little as I had a bone disease, they saved my life.

The chemist telephone number should be on the printed label, you could call them and ask their advice?

Hope you get well soon.

Hi There,
    The Antibiotics do contain penicillin but I have decided that I am going to start them tomorrow if my scalp doesnt feel any better. I am still worried but its worth the risk as if it gets worse then it may be more difficult to get rid of.

Thanks everyone

Thread Information