Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cystitis-like symptoms

Cystitis-like symptoms

I have never posted before but am relieved to have found that so many people suffer HA like me.
    I am 47 and single. Two months ago I had a bout of cystitis after sex. I must admit I was preoccupied during and wasn't suprised to get the cystitis (I don't have sex that often!)
    I got rid of the cystitis just by drinking the sachet things but it came back after a few days so I got some antibiotics from Lloyds pharmacy online.
    Again it seemed to go but I'm now left with what I'd call mild symptoms, a sort of urethral sensitivity that comes on mid-morning 'till mid-evening and I'm convinced I've got bladder cancer because I smoke!
    I've been to a walk-in private GP and had urine tested, she said there were signs of blood from the immediate dip test but no infection from lab tests. She said come back in a few weeks if symptoms persist.
    The symptoms are less frequent now but seem to increase when I feel stressed. I have been under alot of stress lately as my best friend has just had a hysterectomy because of pre-cancerous cells, my mum is starting to suffer from dementia (she's a widow and I'm an only child) and my sexual partner of eight years is being very distant.
    I started councilling two weeks ago to help but I am too scared to have any further medical checks (not that the GP has advised any yet) and the more I worry the worse the symptoms get. I feel such a baby just so scared of cancer and it seems to be everywhere you look. I've even stopped watching Holby!
    How can I stop being so silly and get the courage to deal with my problem?

Re: Cystitis-like symptoms

Bladder cancer is a very rare cancer. Symptoms are blood in the urine. Thing is, you have had sex, which causes trauma in the urinary system, and a long infection. They both will cause symptoms likes painful urination, cramping or discomfort, blood in urine, cloudy, and even foul smellging urine. You will still get symptoms because your body is recovering from the trauma, and the antibiotics have probably got rid of most of the infection that the labs can't trace it.

I'm in the same boat as you, ive had a uti now for three weeks and it's getting on my nerves, and that's from sex too. Just make sure that before and after you have sex that you urinate, wipe front to back and drink plenty of non acid drinks, like water and cranberry juice. Hopefully you won't notice any symptoms in a few days.

ERB 14/01/2016 Forever missed, forever in our hearts, my baby angel girl

Hi Diva, sometimes stress can cause a condition called overactive or irritable bladder - it's not serious, just very annoying, but can be treated with medication. Rennie's advice is good. You can take cranberry capsules as well as the juice and homemade barley water is excellent. Hope you find a fix x

Hi Diva, my GP told me that adrenalin can make you "frequent" so maybe it's a combination of the infection going away and nerves.
    Hope it eases soon, it can be a misery.

Hi there sorry to hear what ur going through. I suffer from Over active bladder had it now for over 2 years!! The symptoms are like having cystitis, ( but without having any infection) just that you get it all the time. However mine seems to come and go depending on how I feel at the time, at high stress it really bugs me. I had to change my diet a little, no tea/coffee or anything with caffeine, chocolate as well (but i'm not ever giving that up ) no orange juice or tomatoes!! be careful with cranberry juice, it is acidic and even though it helps alot with an infection it doesnt when u have OAB!! it can in fact irritant the bladder.

Hope it settles down and u feel better : )

Thank you so much for your kind replies. It is so nice just to be able to share.
    I was going to see my mum today, which makes me stressed even 'though I love her v much. Just reading your replies and 'phoning my mum to say I would see her tommorow instead has made me feel a whole lot better and my symptoms have gone for now (it comes and goes).
    It makes me think stress is making it worse.

I'm glad that you feel much better just remember to relax and drink plenty. Have a day of R&R

ERB 14/01/2016 Forever missed, forever in our hearts, my baby angel girl

Quote Originally Posted by Girl_Interrupted View Post
    be careful with cranberry juice, it is acidic and even though it helps alot with an infection it doesnt when u have OAB!! it can in fact irritant the bladder.
    Fraid I don't really agree with that. If I miss a few days of capsules my symptoms tend to come back with a vengeance.

This is what the NHS website says:

Cranberry products

Although cranberry products are not effective at treating cystitis, they may help to prevent recurrent attacks. High-strength capsules, which contain 200mg of cranberry extract, are available in shops (but not on the NHS).
    Cranberry capsules may be more effective than drinking cranberry juice, as you need to drink a lot of juice for it to benefit you, and not everyone likes the taste. Cranberry capsules are not recommended if you are taking warfarin (blood-thinning medication).

Hi to Rennie
    Do you really think the trauma could last this long (2 months)? I've stopped using perfumed molton brown even 'though I've used it for years. The GP I saw, when she rang with the negative for infection results said I could have become de-sensitised down there??

It could last a while if you have been under a lot of stress. There are other things you can do to help:
    • Wear cotton underwear
    • Stop using all perfumed products in the bath/shower
    • Wipe front to back after using the loo
    • Use sensitive/allergy tested washing powder
    • Drink plenty of alkaline liquid, preferably water
    I'm sure that if the GP thought you had anything really serious they would refer you ASAP. Hope it has eased off.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information