Thread: Changing from Fluoxetine to Mirtazapine

Changing from Fluoxetine to Mirtazapine

I've just been to the doctors and after 3 months on fluoxetine my doctor isnt happy that it is having any effect with my depression. He has advised me to stop taking it for a week and then start on mirtazapine. This is an antidepressant i've never heard of and after doing a bit of reading around im still unsure as to what im going to be taking. does anyone have any advice of what this medication is going to be like or any possible side effects......i feel so confused

Re: Changing from Fluoxetine to Mirtazapine

Hi emma, sorry I just replied to you in the thread before started by lynne. the main side effects i have had is a little more tiredness at the start, very good sleep (!) though sometimes weird and vivid dreams but not unpleasent. They are supposed to have a lot less side effects when starting compared to the ssri and that has def been my experience. It certainly has not increased my anxiety ( though at times i thought it had).. think you can blame a lot of new meds when actually it is the illness xx

Hi,

Thanks for the reply...im trying hard to keep an open mind asbout starting the new meds but had a bit of an iffy few days so think im just down in general :(
    I will be starting the mirt next tuesday (my doc advised me to not take anything for a week to give myself a break from the fluox). will deffo keep you posted.

Thanks again, emma xx

Hi Emma,

Mirtazipine was a life saver for me...it got me out of a very horrible place and living a normal life again. Side effects for me were drowsiness initially, but sleeping so well (and still do), this does wear off though when you get used to it...but again we are all different so bear that in mind.

On the down side I have gained weight on it which is hard to get off...but hoping after the Christmas period to come off it and hopefully that will help with the weight. I currently take 15mg had previously gone up to 30mg!!

Hope that helps...and good luck...I'm sure you will be fine!!!

Jo.xx

Hi Emma, like yourself I have recently switched from Fluoxetine to Mirtazapine. My first dose of 'Mirt' was on Tuesday of this week (23rd Nov) I have been prescribed 15mg daily. I had gradually reduced my Fluox use to 20mg taken every other day and my last one was on Sunday 21st Nov, so the switch from one med to another has been pretty instant.

My mood today is very low, though I expect the Mirt won't properly be in my system yet. How long I wonder before it works to lift my mood? I do sleep better after taking it - almost instantly fall asleep where as before I lay awake for hours. Also my dreams are very vivid on Mirt.
    I'm experiencing mild 'head shocks' which I know to be the withdrawal of Fluox as the cause as I've had them before when coming off them.

I'm supposed to be going out with friends tomorrow night and really need to get myself out as I have been cooped up in the house this week feeling low. I'm a bit wary about drinking alcohol though. What's your experience been so far Emma?

Thread Information