Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: just a question!

just a question!

hi i have just been to docs this monday, as im suffering deppression/anxiety panic attacks quite bad for some time now.
    i was prescribed citalopram 20mg daily! i was just wondering as most people on here seem to start with 10mg daily, is it a safe amount to start with? i havent took one yet as in slightly more anxious of the side effects, being worsened anxiety and dizzyiness as i already have this bad enough shouldnt i start on 10mg! i am very scared of what to expect, but obviously want to get better. hope i make sense. thanks for listening x

Re: just a question!

10mg will be better ,the side effects if you get them will be less severe .When they have settled down a bit and you feel ok Increase again even if its by 5mg .You will be ok ,Take one day at a time and keep distracted .You will get plenty of support to help you through this .good luck luv Sue x

thank you for replying so what should i do go back and get them changed to 10mg as i already have 20mg pack and i havent taken one yet? xx i know this site has really helped me already! thanks again x

Quote Originally Posted by Joexgee View Post
    hi i have just been to docs this monday, as im suffering deppression/anxiety panic attacks quite bad for some time now.
    i was prescribed citalopram 20mg daily! i was just wondering as most people on here seem to start with 10mg daily, is it a safe amount to start with? i havent took one yet as in slightly more anxious of the side effects, being worsened anxiety and dizzyiness as i already have this bad enough shouldnt i start on 10mg! i am very scared of what to expect, but obviously want to get better. hope i make sense. thanks for listening x
    Hi there, I have just been prescribed Citalopram 20mg, haven't started them yet as I am still suffering from an anxiety episode which happened last night, want to be clear of that so I don't go all paranoid when I start taking them. I am paranoid at the best of times with this anxiety!

I was put on 20mg Citalopram a couple of years ago for a few months, though I didn't have anxiety. I don't remember having any major side effects so that is probably why GP has started me on 20mg again. If you feel unsure, go back to your GP. We are all different.

Anthony J. D'Angelo

I agree with Sue. It is much better to gradually start meds initially with a lower dose and work up should you need to. Seems a bit harsh to me to start you off on 20mg. It is a tough one to call as the doctor may deem you need that dose, but gradual in my experience is a better way.

As Sue said, distraction is key as you do initially feel a bit rough when you first start the meds, and keeping busy is the best thing, but you are so not alone in this, and any time you need support or advice or are scared about what is happening, people are always around here to help.

lots of love.xx

Quote Originally Posted by heavenly View Post
    Hi there, I have just been prescribed Citalopram 20mg, haven't started them yet as I am still suffering from an anxiety episode which happened last night, want to be clear of that so I don't go all paranoid when I start taking them. I am paranoid at the best of times with this anxiety!

I was put on 20mg Citalopram a couple of years ago for a few months, though I didn't have anxiety. I don't remember having any major side effects so that is probably why GP has started me on 20mg again. If you feel unsure, go back to your GP. We are all different.
    hi thanks for replying, i have real bad anxiety at the moment too! i did have citalopram in 2006 20mg when my grandad died to help me cope also, but do not remember how or if they made me worse, i guess they have given me the same amount due to that. but it was only after reading on here that i saw that other people had started mostly on 10 i started worrying! because i had a 2 hour anxiety attack yesterday i have put off taking them! i do remember last time i was on them, i stopped without being weaned off and it was horrible, like tremors in my head. so i wont be doing that again EVER! i just hope i dont get them even with being weaned off, as i have read a few storys on here that arent pleasant.
    thanks so much for your help xx hope u feel better soon x take care

Quote Originally Posted by Joexgee View Post
    hi thanks for replying, i have real bad anxiety at the moment too! i did have citalopram in 2006 20mg when my grandad died to help me cope also, but do not remember how or if they made me worse, i guess they have given me the same amount due to that. but it was only after reading on here that i saw that other people had started mostly on 10 i started worrying! because i had a 2 hour anxiety attack yesterday i have put off taking them! i do remember last time i was on them, i stopped without being weaned off and it was horrible, like tremors in my head. so i wont be doing that again EVER! i just hope i dont get them even with being weaned off, as i have read a few storys on here that arent pleasant.
    thanks so much for your help xx hope u feel better soon x take care
    Same here, I am glad I have been prescribed them as having been feeling really low and know I need some extra help but I am still feeling very anxious today, so obviously, scared of taking that first one! I don't remember having anything major when I was on 20mg so I hope that I will be ok on 20mg, but am going to wait til my anxiety levels drop before I start taking them. Hope you start to feel better soon, keep me posted, we are starting together!!

Anthony J. D'Angelo

You can buy pill cutters but they sometimes shatter one half of the pill because they are so small .I bite mine in half when I only need 5mg .i HAVE 10MG TABS . See how you go ..Sue x

Hi

i started on 10mg 2 weeks ago for 10 days then upped my dosage to 20mg.... good luck hun xxx

Quote Originally Posted by suzy-sue View Post
    You can buy pill cutters but they sometimes shatter one half of the pill because they are so small .I bite mine in half when I only need 5mg .i HAVE 10MG TABS . See how you go ..Sue x
    hi sue, thats sounds like a good idea to me, i was thinking of just taking half i have to go back to docs a wk on fri anyway, so ill just tell her what ive done and see how i feel then! gonna start them this wk, so thankyou for your help and advise xxx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information