Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Benefits

Re: Benefits

I have a neighbour who is forever knocking on my door, asking for money to feed her son :( She and her partner both smoke... cigarettes are considered a luxury, so why would you think benefits should pay for that luxury? I used to smoke too, and when I gave up both for health and financial reasons, I could start looking after myself better... better food, vitamins etc. Giving up was probably the hardest thing I've ever done ( apart from giving birth ) but like the rest of us who are struggling to survive you've gotta do whatever it takes : ) No time like the present! : )

Piers

I can completely understand how difficult things are for you. I am a single parent and the money they expect you to live on sucks. I worked all my days, from 16 to 30. I'm 38 now and i had to give up my job at 30 due to splitting up from my partner, moving home, increased anxiety and eventualy agoraphobia.

It is very very very difficult, there are no two ways about it.

Lisa
    xx

Quote Originally Posted by kibbutz83 View Post
    ..so why would you think benefits should pay for that luxury?..
    We are trying to cut back, we have gone from a pack a day each down to half a pack each and hopefully down to none in a bout a month - but as you know it takes time. I tried quitting before cold turkey and, although I found that method easy with diazepam, I couldn't seem to do it with smoking.

I dont expect benefits to pay for cigarettes, that's why we are smoking french ones at the moment that my sister gave us - we have about 800 left.

And another annoying thing is that whenever I speak to the DWP on the phone they instantly take a disliking to me - maybe if I was a football loving, alcohol drinking, working class type then they would like me.

Of course I am not say all working class are like that at all but from past experience it seems to help on the phone.

Actually when I worked with drug users and alcoholics they got more respect on the phone that I do.

Maybe I should try talking to them in latin?

Hi Piers
    I think that was a bit harsh to Sue.
    If the DWP staff sound miserable sometimes then maybe its because they get verbally abused a lot - they are just doing a job and they dont set the rules - the goverment do.
    You may not like this comment but...maybe you dont come across that friendly with the advisors at the DWP? I think it is quite snobbish to say 'working class, football loving alcoholics'.... believe me I have met many middle/upper class alcoholics...ok they may have preferred rugby...
    Being an alcoholic or a drug addict does not get you any more benefit than a person on Incap Benefit not being able to work due to mental health problems.
    Why would you think drug taking, football loving, alcoholics are treated in a friendlier manner??? Do you listen in to the conversations. I hardly think the DWP staff think ' Oh lets be nice to this person because he/she is a druggie/alcoholic'!
    I can understand your frustrations and I can understand that you want support, but when it comes to financial situations, we can only help so much. What else can we do in a situation like this?...apart from sympathise, which I do and I am sure a lot of the others on the site do.
    I know it is hard. I have been there in the past with my son to support. The only way to improve my circumstances was to work (however I do know that there are hardly and jobs around at the moment) I am sure there are lots of others on this site struggling too.
    Have you considered going to Citizens Advice and asking and them to do a review of your benefits to make sure you are getting everything you are entitled to?
    Last edited by PoppyC; 28-10-10 at 11:13.

What was harsh to Sue?

I have been to the CAB and seen the local MP - although he was very helpful with mental health treatment and referrals, he couldn't do much about benefits.

That's a really good idea Poppy.

You're really not alone.. I'm a single mum, and when my son was little the week the rent was due, we ate beans on toast every night : ( We got so behind with bills that they were threatening to cut us off too : ( It was the most miserable time of my life... and I've had quite a few before and since! I think most of us have suffered in some way, it's a case of learning to adapt to the ups and downs : ( Good luck in your struggle

with all the changes that the goverment is making regading health benefits we will all be worse off and have to survive of less money although i have gad i have to go back to work or eles i will lose my house sometimes we have to do things that we dont want to or cant do to survive the dwp is changing everyone benefits not just yours can your wife partner not work all benefits are going to change

Thanks Lisa
    Its hard isnt it especially how things are at the present time. Everyone seems to be struggling who I know.
    I feel the need for a glass of wine...
    Last edited by PoppyC; 28-10-10 at 11:14.

all benefits are being cut like the goverment said i suffer with severe gad but i have to go to work to pay thr mortage can your wife partner not help out all dwp benefits are being chaNGED IN THE NEXT COUPLE OF WEEKS SO IT COULD GET WORSE YET

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information