Page 1 of 44 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: My Citalopram Journey

Unhappy My Citalopram Journey

Hi guys

I have had a couple of days of high anxiety which is why I am extra jumpy and low at the mo and I have made that fatal mistake of reading up too much on something. I have been prescribed 20mg of Citalopram, as I have been feeling really low, as well as anxious. I haven't started it yet, probably will do on Saturday as its 2 days off work and other half will be home. I have been on 20mg before, a couple of years ago, not anxiety related though, only on it for about 6 months, and don't remember having anything major re side effects. But this time around, of course, as I am suffering from anxiety, I am so nervous about starting it. I keep reading all the side effects and that you feel rubbish for ages first, and I am scared of feeling more rubbish than I already do. I know I have to bite the bullet, just, I don't know, wanted to hear if anyone actually didn't have side effects!

I was so nervous thinking about it this morning at work, I had to go to the loo as the thoughts gave me diarrhea.

Just need some positive thoughts really and some strength to just do it!
    Last edited by heavenly; 17-12-10 at 10:19.

Anthony J. D'Angelo

Re: Really nervous

Hi Heavenly

I have been one citalopram from a month now, because I was so oversensitive to everything I put myself on 10mg for a couple of weeks till I got used to it, then 20mg. I've only had a couple of days of feeling a bit rough, and a few side effects, but once they kick in none if it really matters, because generally I felt far worse before I started taking them. I found personally taking some berocca with them calmed down the side effects anyway, although obv everyone is different. When you start them just take extra care to look after yourself, I tied up all loose ends before I started taking them, even warned work that if I did get side effects I may not be able to get to work ( I am agoraphobic so getting to work is a big deal anyway!).
    Its probably not recommended but I took the tabs and smushed them up and took a bit, see how i felt, then took a bit more. If you have any doubts anyway check with your doc... But honestly... the side effects are not as bad as being constantly anxious and depressed, I know some people can get a little worse for a few weeks but generally weeks fly by pretty quickly!

Good luck + Hugs!

xx Jellie xx

[QUOTE=Jellie;732646]Hi Heavenly

I have been one citalopram from a month now, because I was so oversensitive to everything I put myself on 10mg for a couple of weeks till I got used to it, then 20mg. I've only had a couple of days of feeling a bit rough, and a few side effects, but once they kick in none if it really matters, because generally I felt far worse before I started taking them. I found personally taking some berocca with them calmed down the side effects anyway, although obv everyone is different. When you start them just take extra care to look after yourself, I tied up all loose ends before I started taking them, even warned work that if I did get side effects I may not be able to get to work ( I am agoraphobic so getting to work is a big deal anyway!).
    Its probably not recommended but I took the tabs and smushed them up and took a bit, see how i felt, then took a bit more. If you have any doubts anyway check with your doc... But honestly... the side effects are not as bad as being constantly anxious and depressed, I know some people can get a little worse for a few weeks but generally weeks fly by pretty quickly!

Good luck + Hugs!

xx Jellie xx[/QUOTE

hi jellie, im pretty much in the same boat as heavenly, i am planning starting mine today, i have 20mg, but am gonna cut em in half to 10 cos im a bit anxious about the side effects too.
    im still worried tho, but am gonna make a start today! day 1 wish me luck

heavenly if u decide to start at the same time, and do the same as me, let me know xxx we can support eachother xx

Quote Originally Posted by Jellie View Post
    Hi Heavenly

Good luck + Hugs!

xx Jellie xx
    Thank you so much replying. I really am my worst enemy, I know I am! Haven't made my mind up yet whether to take 10mg or 20mg but will take the first one tomorrow afternoon, when I leave work and can pick up the prescription. After that, will take one first thing in the morning, that is what the GP stipulated.

I get what you are saying, that I should just go for it as the side effects can't be as bad as I am feeling. Its the anxiety talking, I worry about everything, no matter how small and this obviously is a big thing, but I must see it as a positive thing, the medication is going to help me feel better! Keep me posted hun with how you are going. xx

Anthony J. D'Angelo

Quote Originally Posted by Joexgee View Post
    heavenly if u decide to start at the same time, and do the same as me, let me know xxx we can support eachother xx
    Hey you, will take my first one tomorrow afternoon, haven't decided yet 10mg or 20mg. All I know is, I need some help! Keep in touch. xx

Anthony J. D'Angelo

I am sure that any possible side-effects will be minimal compared to the awful feelings you have now. You have taken it before so I'm sure you will be OK. I am sure that your doctor thinks 20mg is OK for you to take, hope it goes well if you take one .

Thinking of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel B View Post
    I am sure that any possible side-effects will be minimal compared to the awful feelings you have now. You have taken it before so I'm sure you will be OK. I am sure that your doctor thinks 20mg is OK for you to take, hope it goes well if you take one .

Thinking of you.
    Thank you hun, yes I think you are right about the side effects, I really can't be feeling any worse than I do now, so low today, its been an awful week. Going to make sure I am in company when I take my first one this afternoon, just a bit of support really! Thank you. xx

Anthony J. D'Angelo

Hope it goes well, let us know how you get on.

x x

i have to say that i have been on 3 different sris in the past - the first time i took citalopram i did not notice any major side effects - the second time - i cannot lie - i felt terrible for 14 days - this is because they can agitate you and make you feel much worse BUT knowing this can happen should be enough to prepare you and it does pass. having said that - some of it may have been down to how bad i was feeling anyway.

lustral also made me feel this way and i remember my gp telling me - if you think you feel bad now - you will feel a hundred times worse but i do believe being forewarned is forearmed. however - both times i have had bad side effects is when i truly felt terrible - i felt so bad it was not a case of should i take them/should i not - they felt like a last resort lol so i just felt i had to get through the side effects.

i hope my post does not make you overly nervous but there is no point in just giving one side of the story or tell you what you want to hear otherwise you may post back and say - actually - i felt so horrible and you all said it wouldn't happen!

either way you will be fine - you may not get any major side effects and if you do - they will only last at the most for 14-15 days before they pass x

I started on citalopram beginning of September and I too was very worried about side effects. Unfortunatley I had an infection and was prescribed a strong antibiotic as well and that too had the side effect of making you feel sick so I did feel really rough the first couple of weeks. I was supposed to take 10mg for a few days and then go up to 20 but I stopped on 10 as was worried about feeling worse.
    I was still feeling low and very anxious so started to take 20mg.... I felt that my sinus' were worse (suffer with them quite badly normally)....so cut back to 10mg but was back to being anxious. My GP said by cutting back and increasing like I was doing was not helping me at all. I have been on 20mg for three weeks now and am feeling a lot better and able to think about the future. Where as before I didn't care if I had one.
    Persevere I say......it does get better. I still have bad days but I'm feeling better able to cope now.

Page 1 of 44 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information