Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: my dog died - the second i have lost in 2 months

my dog died - the second i have lost in 2 months

feeling very down today. 3 out of our 4 dogs picked up poison 2 months ago - our puppy died and the other 2 were critical for 2 days and it was an incredibly stressful time. the fourth who did not ingest any died unexpectedly last night - he was 10 so a reasonable age for a springer spaniel but the speed of it was so shocking. he became unwell at 9 pm and i took him to the vets because i was so concerned at his behaviour - but the vet could find nothing wrong. An hour and half later - he came into the living room from his bed and he was stood in such a funny way and started to look so terrible i began to think - oh my god - could he be dying?!

he then laid down and his breathing went funny - i was straight back on the phone to the vet and she came out and although she said we could leave it a few hours - we just had to put him to sleep because he was obviously dying (he was stopping and starting breathing by then) and when we gave her the go ahead - he thumped his tail (heartbreaking) as if he was saying yes - that is what i want.

me and my husband stayed with him the whole time and he died peacefully - i insisted he was sedated first so he would know nothing about it - the vet thinks his heart just failed.

i just cannot believe we have lost 2 dogs in 2 months and a few weeks before we lost the first dog - my brother lost his dog tragically too. i had just started to turn the corner from feeling terrible after coming off citalopram after 7 years but this is what life does - it does not wait for you to be anxiety free lol before things happen although i must admit i sucummbed to a beta blocker after the ordeal.

just wanted to vent a little - i am sure other pet lovers will understand xx

Re: my dog died - the second i have lost in 2 months

Oh thats terribly sad, Im so sorry. I cant have pets as were all allergic, but I did have dogs throughout the whole of my childhood, and when they leave us, its really the loss of a member of the family. Thinking of you.x

Sweetie - you vent all you long, how horrible.

Who can blame you for being upset and anxious - you have had some truely awful experiences lately. And losing one pet is bad enough but your situation must be devastating.

My heart goes out to you and your husband - I am a big animal lover, I don't understand people half the time but with animals its totally unconditional.

Take care and x

I am so so sorry for your loss, i have had animals all my life and was heartbroken when they were gone. my thoughts are with you xxx

You poor thing you must all be devestated what a lucky dog he was to have a loving family to care for him .

Was watching program about RSPCA and the awful cruelty that they find animals have suffered these people should be named and shamed .

Try and think of all your happy memories with your beloved pet .

Thinking of you all xx

My heart is with you. I think at times like this we must try to remember our pets are loved and cherished and would have been happy because of us.
    *hugs*

Yes, I understand after losing "my best friend" last year. Even to look at photos of him now still gets to me. It must be absolutely heartbreaking for you but I know there are no words I can say to comfort you except that I genuinely feel for you.

I am so sorry. You must be absolutely heartbroken. I am crying reading your post so I cannot begin to imagine what you must be going through.
    I have 1 dog and 3 cats and they are not pets - they are my family and I love them so much - and I am sure it is the same for you.
    Please take some comfort from knowing that you gave your dogs a good life.
    I dont know what else to say other than to say I am so sorry and that I am thinking of you X

Hello,
    I truly understand how you feel. My lovely Springer/Red Setter cross developed a tumour in her leg and after a few months we had to have her put to sleep.
    It was one of the saddest days of our lives and I have a framed photo of her by the computer as I write.
    Remember that grief is a natural process and it is normal to be upset. Losing a pet is the loss of an important family member.
    I now have a Cocker Spaniel from the Dogs Trust. She had been used for breeding and badly neglected. She was six when we got her and is now quite elderly and slowing down and I know I'll probably go through it all again soon. However, the changes in her and the happiness she has brought us will always stay with us.

thanks guys for the lovely replies - poppy c - do not cry lol - you are setting me off again! evekins - our little dog who died after posioning was a cocker and so are the 2 we have left. my brothers dog was a cocker too although his loss has a kind of happy ending as he now has her sister - fate?!

am ok for half an hour but then i just think - poor mr woo! (that was his pet name!)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information