Thread: Quick tips / facts

Quick tips / facts

I will add to this as I go along but thought it may be useful for some members:

You cannot breathe and swallow at the same time (as the same airway/tube is used) so when you try to swallow and feel that you can't breathe in - this is why.

One takes precedence over the other but please be reassured that you can do both within seconds of each other so you won't stop swallowing or breathing though it may feel like it.

You may experience this when eating and you swallow and then seem to gasp for breathe - this is why. One thing has to act before the next one and it can feel like you can't breathe and/or swallow but please be reassured that you can.
    Last edited by nomorepanic; 30-10-10 at 00:54.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Re: Quick tips / facts

This makes sense. When you are trying to swallow and feel that you can't and then can't get a breath, that is really scary. Thank you.

Thank you, Nicola. I get this often, and end up feeling faint - I think because I stop breathing AND stop in mid-swallow. This is helpful to know.

Quote Originally Posted by WildBerry View Post
    Thank you, Nicola. I get this often, and end up feeling faint - I think because I stop breathing AND stop in mid-swallow. This is helpful to know.

Amazing!

I've had this for years, when I panic I can't swallow which makes it worse! I never realised I was trying to breathe and swallow at the same time which isn't possible!

Thread Information