Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: World is going to end...

World is going to end...

I guess I have found myself here because I'm hoping for some comfort in what seems utterly ridiculous to me but I can't escape it...

From time to time I find myself terrified about the world coming to an end. Yes, the whole 2012 thing scares the living out of me... it seems ridiculous that man would predict something like this and that it's just the media getting into my head. But especially during times of high stress, I find myself terrified and some times in tears over it.

This has to be something wrong with me. I can trace back when 2000 was just around the corner and everyone was having a fit the world was going to end then.

after that, when I was a teenager, I used to have the same gripping fear about AIDS. I would cry myself to sleep at night, convinced I had contracted the disease and I was going to die.

I guess my phobia is death- but death before my time. I constantly feel like I just don't have enough time and this all stems from that...

Does anyone else feel this way or worry about this same thing? How do you reason yourself out of it? Or rather how do you deal with it?

(I'm actually partially nervous to even post this, fearing what people may say about what "is to come")

Re: World is going to end...

I also have a fear of the world ending. My boyfriend watches those shows about super volcanoes, 2012, asteroids, Nostradamus, etc, with glee. I can NOT watch those shows at all.

I also had the fear of 2000. I was actually on a date on New Years Eve 1999 and it lurked in the back of my mind the entire time.

The only thing I try to do is put it out of my mind, and avoid things that trigger my anxiety about it (like those shows on TV).

You are definitely not alone in that fear. I know I don't have earth shattering advice for you, but I've found that avoiding things that discuss Armageddon-type events seems to really help me.

I was worried about 2000 lol. Ive not heard about 2012 thank god as I think this would scare me whatever it is. The reason why i dont know is because i try to avoid reading newspapers, watching the news on tv etc. Its mostly all full of bad news anyway and reading bad news gets me (as my partner calls it - worked up and stressed) so i avoid them. Id rather live in ignorant bliss than have all the bad news overwhelming my mind as im a big thinker and worrier.

My bf watches alot of those programmes too or ones on the history channels about wars etc. Now he switches the channel to something else if im in the room, or he will tape them and watch them when Im not in the same room.

With all it's sham and drudgery it is still a beautiful world......I used to worry about these things to when I lived in Iran,now I am living in Aus I feel sense of peace.
    Love Petra x

One day the world will end and there is not much we can do about it and as far as death is concerned if we keep worrying about everything we are more or less dead already. In fact its like a living death.
    When my mum died she had no fear at all because she had a faith. Will I be like that when the times comes? I am not sure but I know one day I will die as will everyone else.
    In the mean time I will try to live my life as best I can and be the best friend brother and father I can be.
    Thats what it comes down to, just living the best you can.

Choices

Well thats up to us

If it is any consolation to you, the whole 2012 thing according to an archaeologist it could have happened 50 years ago or could happen 50 years into the future in 2062

I was big on this one too! I was scared of the 2000 thing big time! I then got upset at the whole 2012 crap too, but it is all RUBBISH!! Humans do not have ANY knoweldge of how things work! The iniverse and our excistence is a myster and it is meant ot be that way!! No one knows anything but you can speculate and ponder and that is part of the fun of it but NO ONE knows the begining or end of anything it is somethng beyond ourselves. Many try to feed a lot of B.S. over this stuff for whatever reason but they don't know anymore than anyone else.

Don't stop paying your bills.. 2012 is a crock..You will still be living and breathing right through the new year. But on a different note..This earth has been here for billions of years and avoided some terrible things but it won't always..So you better off just living day to day and try to get the most out of that time.Plan for the future because more than likely you will be here to experience it but if it doesn't come at least you are covered for plans..Take care and try not to think about it at all..Michael

Just came back to this thread after reading it the other day because this subject cropped up in a lesson I took at school yesterday.
    First yes the earth is going to end....but not just yet. Scientists believe the earth is around half way through its life so it’s got about another 4.5 billion years to go. All life will in fact die a billion or so years before that but that’s a different story.
    Rigt the point of the post is I did this lesson and the overall subject was the 2012 thing but the object was for students to investigate other ‘The world is going to end’ episodes, turns out there are literally thousands of dates out there and dozens that come and go every year. The only reason some are focused on more than others is because that person got something right in the past and the reason they got something right is pure chance. Prophets like Nostrodamus made dozens of prophesies a day seven days a week fifty two weeks a year, ultimately if you are broad enough and vague enough at sometime you are going to come up trumps.

Thats right. Also, the 2012 thing? They didn't count the leap years so it is totally wrong. If the world ends, I welcome it with open arms.

AND
    'AV A
    PASTY

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information