Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: World is going to end...

Re: World is going to end...

Indeed...and I am sorry but that is my opinion too.

It may sound harsh, but I agree with you that we all have plenty of tangible things to worry about, but I am sorry, worrying about the world ending is not tangible, and instead of worrying about something like that, should we not be focusing on the things we dearly want to and can change?

It appears that sometimes on this forum, instead of supporting each other and encouraging each other (which is also a part of support) to tackle issues, we perpetually soft soap each other with 'there, theres' instead, and I am sorry, but I do not think that is helpful.

If you find it hurtful and others, then I cannot help that and am sorry, but that is my opinion. If we all sit around wallowing in self pity it helps nobody.

I have suffered with depression, anxiety and panic for 6 years and I am not unsympathetic, and yes, we are sensitive, but we also have to take responsibility for our problems and face them head on. Sitting in an endless cycle is not productive and getting well I KNOW is not easy. I force myself out of the door when I am panicking, but there is no getting well without struggle and surely we should help each other ANY WAY WE CAN to do that.

It is cruel and fruitless to perpetuate anxiety by telling others that everything they feel is rational when we know damned well it isn't.
    Last edited by debs71; 27-12-10 at 17:04.

I agreed with everything you said up until the get a life bit.

I wasn't finding fault in the way you help and reply to people because everything you say is true, I just found the "get a life" comment a bit harsh and unnecessary. x

Well, I am sorry for the end wording then.

does that mean my tv set will still be insured?

Quote Originally Posted by mick_uk View Post
    does that mean my tv set will still be insured?

sorry you think it's a hoax, your choice to believe what you want to believe. I pm you zee.

the world not going to end in 2012. do the research, attend the conferences. up to you.

oh mick what are you like

Quote Originally Posted by paulmoldeeside View Post
    now that`s a good link, as logical as I try to be I still give far too much power to people spreading bad news so this was very worthwhile.

I remember my mates wife charging six times her normal rate for milennium bug tech support on new years eve 1999 and precisely nothing happened, but so many people were spooked that bank accounts would be wiped and everything returned to 1971 for some reason that they paid what she asked. On top of this she had a helpline she ran just in case people spotted anything unusual. She made a lot of money.

We`ll all die eventually, we just need to make sure we`ve lived first.
    I recall that leaflets were sent out all over the UK by the government as well for the possible effects of the millenium bug ??
    I think Nostradamus was given too much credit for some of the scaremongering back then due to his prophecies.. He didnt even write all of them, they were completed by someone else .
    The 2012 thing has been tied in with the Mayan cycle end of times. But..the Maya never predicted anything like that. They simply wrote that a new cycle began. Ancient cultures used cyclical calendars. Dates way beyond 2012 have been found on Maya inscriptions anyway.

in fairness a lot of our fears are irrational, whats the difference between fear the worlds going to end to other phobias and fears n OCD thoughts?
    thats a bit like telling some one who's having a panic attack to calm down and get a life.

I suffer panic attacks myself Mishel as I have already stated, therefore I cannot be accused of not knowing what they feel like...they are horrific, but yes, they too are irrational IMO and yes, WE DO need to calm down and get a life. I have all the sympathy in the world for anxiety sufferers, but I don't believe that any of us are truly helped by validating irrational beliefs that perpetuate the anxiety. How sympathetic and helpful do you really think that is?

It is funny how people are so horrified with anyone who states the obvious when they themselves know it is true, but can't face facts or deal with that. If I were to say ' yeh, you are totally right, as it is entirely feasible that the world is going to end and you should keep worrying about it' that would help would it?

No, I doubt it.

What does someone say to a person suffering a panic attack to calm them down them Mishel? 'Keep panicking, as there really IS something to be terrified of'?

No. They DO tell them to calm down as their fears are irrational. So why is this situation different? Because of the words 'Get a life'. Isn't a life all we want, correct me if I am wrong?

As the saying goes, denial isn't just a river in Egypt.
    Last edited by debs71; 29-12-10 at 03:35.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information