Thread: Bowel Habit Issues

Bowel Habit Issues

Okay so I've been having alot of problems in this area in the last few months.

Sorry if this is graphic but I have very bad constipation. At the moment, it is hard for me to go at all.

When I do manage to go it is loose and comes out in very small pieces but this takes alot of effort to get out. Surely this isn't right?
    A couple of times I have seen blood on the toilet paper...I suffer from piles occasionaly and have bad tummy pains, wind, gas etc.

As soon as I have gone to the toilet, I feel as though I need to go again but nothing comes out, I feel like I am constantly blocked up :( its not a nice feeling.

Of course I am worried about bowel cancer/colon cancer.

I am 21 years old, my diet isnt great but I do eat fruit and veg and I'm always on my feet (waitressing). I drink alot of water everyday and I take vitamins. I'm also on the contraceptive pill Yasmin.

- Emily Brontė

"No matter how irrational I may sound, it's real to me"

Re: Bowel Habit Issues

I've had very similar experiences with IBS. I've been constipated and backed up... but felt like I've needed to go. Or sometimes even go a little, then it doesn't finish! It is a very uncomfortable thing.

Quote Originally Posted by mumble View Post
    I've had very similar experiences with IBS. I've been constipated and backed up... but felt like I've needed to go. Or sometimes even go a little, then it doesn't finish! It is a very uncomfortable thing.
    Ok so are you saying mine sounds like IBS then?

How do I know its not bowel cancer?

- Emily Brontė

It follows the pattern of IBS - which is affected a lot by anxiety and stress. Have you spoken to your dr about it? I'm sure with bowel cancer you'd have more symptoms, you can lose a lot of weight quickly, get pains in various places in the abdomen etc, bleeding.

Quote Originally Posted by mumble View Post
    It follows the pattern of IBS - which is affected a lot by anxiety and stress. Have you spoken to your dr about it? I'm sure with bowel cancer you'd have more symptoms, you can lose a lot of weight quickly, get pains in various places in the abdomen etc, bleeding.
    But I have had abdomen pain and bleeding on the toilet paper which I said in my first post

- Emily Brontė

Hi
    If its red blood then it very likely piles or a little tear because of the ‘straining’. Any bleeding further up manifests itself as black faeces.

Be hard on yourself and take another look at your diet. What you would like to think you eat and what you actually eat are often worlds apart. What you may simply need is to get a diet / healthy eating plan from your nurse at your GP surgery.

Ok thanks groundhog, I will look into doing this.

Is it unlikely I have bowel cancer because of my age?
    How would I check to put my mind at rest?

- Emily Brontė

Maybe give Fybogel a try to see if that helps x

Chances of having bowel cancer at your age must be a million to one at least - it is almost unheard of. In fact only time I have heard of it in younger people as in their early 30's is when there is an inheritied disease that causes thousands of polyps ( little benign growths) to form in the colon and this increases your risk of bowel cancer as cancer can start in a polyp so unless you have had loads of family members die of bowel cancer at an early age you don't need to worry.

Do go and chat to your GP as it sounds like IBS which I have or just plain old constipation.

Yes agree bowel cancer is most unlikely at your age. High fibre diet with plenty of water. Constipation affects all people at some time or other; you may even be allergic to something. A friend of mine recently had bouts of constipation and diarrhea (sp?) and it turned out he was allergic or intolerant of bread he cut it out and is now OK.

As above look at your diet and try a digestion supplement and / or talk to your practice nurse, I often find the practice nurses are better than the docs when it comes to things like this, ultimately if she thinks it’s anything that needs GP intervention she will refer you (and vice-versa if you see your doc and he thinks its diet related he will often refer you to the nurse)

Thread Information