Thread: fasting blood test/pelvic ultrasound

Cool fasting blood test/pelvic ultrasound

Okay - so my GP now thinks I have PCOS due to funny periods, bad period pain, heavy periods, mood swings and acne! Lovely - but she has reffered me for an ultrasound to check for it, what is an ultrasound? She said for women who've had sex they have an internal one but due to the fact that I'm a virgin (at 19 - the shame ) she says I'll need to have it on my tummy as it would hurt too much seemingly...? I've also got to get a fasting blood test, with nothing to eat or drink (other than water) for twelve hours - I hate needles, and I'm worried I'll collapse, if I do will I be OK? Even thinking about it makes me feel funny, and I know it'll be more likely if I haven't eaten what if I collapse on the bus whilst going up there? Aargh. Help please hehe?
    - What you fear in your head is not always true -
    I may take some time to reply to PMs/Messages but I will do it eventually, promise

Re: fasting blood test/pelvic ultrasound

As prev said the fasting test will be to see if your sugar is high as is common in pcos. I am totally phobic about blood tests and needles - I do not look at any time during the test and ask for the test to be done with me laid down - be honest and say you feel faint even thinking about it and they will straight away lay you down for test.
    The ultrasound is easy - just bit of cold gel on your abdomen and then they run the ulrasound head held by the sonographer over your abdomen- quick and easy and totally painless.

I have an annual ultrasound for some growths in my gallbladder. Its great fun - loads of jelly on my belly and its like being wierdly massaged. I couldnt' stop giggling because it tickled!

AND
    'AV A
    PASTY

Ok cool, thanks Yeah I will do that, sounds like it would help a lot, I said to my doctor I'm a bit funny about needles and she said the nurse will understand - and that she'll tell them in advance that I'm scared! To be honest the ultrasound seems fine, just wasn't sure what it was! thanks! xx
    - What you fear in your head is not always true -
    I may take some time to reply to PMs/Messages but I will do it eventually, promise

Thread Information