Thread: Best therapy?

Best therapy?

Being currently in my third episode of depression/anxiety I now realise i'm going to have to get help of some description. I've been told CBT is good but it sounds like you have to put so much into it- I know that sounds really lazy but i've never been any good at studying

Is hypnotherapy any use? I guess I'm looking for the 'easy' way..I might feel differently when the meds kick in this time but at the mo just can't be bothered with anything :-/

Re: Best therapy?

I don't think it's the cbt that is hard work (you don't have to study) it's the putting it into practise that's so damned hard! I have thought about hypnotherapy too so would be interested to hear anything from anybody that has used it. If it works they're probably not on hear anymore though!!!

here, I mean - goodness this diazepam is affecting my spelling big time!

lol-i know that feeling! Yes hope some people report what worked for them!

I've had one hypnotherapy session, but I was so tense it was nearly impossible. So I would only recommend that if you can relax XD However you could get a therapist to record you a hypnotherapy mp3 that you can use at your leisure.
    I've had numerous CBT sessions in the last 10 years. When I was younger it was a group therapy with depression and anxiety sufferers. It was useful because I realised life could be so much worse! Not really the intention of the therapy, but it got me out of my rut.
    Since then I've had group therapy and one to one.. However I wasn;t ever really open to it and would skip the homework because I didn't see the point in it.
    This all changed this year when I had yet another relapse and started CBT again. This time I was far more open to it and did the homework. It's really really helped me and I use it in my day to day life.
    Just to clarify about the homework. It's basically a diary. You note down each anxiety attack, its feelings, emotions, severity, symptoms, thoughts, beliefs. It really does help to realise what's going on when you panic and what your triggers are.
    I've also had normal therapy and for the past 18months seen an NLP therapist, which was very very useful! NLP gets you to look back at traumatic periods in your life and give them new emotions. For instance my memory of my first panic attack would pop into my head a lot and it would bring with it horrid feelings. So we reworked it and now it doesnt have any power over me. It's hard to explain XD Pm me if you want more info on it.

thanks hun-I was thinking of NLP as I have a practitioner who lives near me..isn't it that 'tapping' stuff though? tried that before but guess i wasn't in the right frame of mind as i thought it was ridiculous, just something to take your mind off things. or have i got the wrong thing completely?!

The tapping is EFT. NLP is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuro-l...ic_programming
    My therapist did use some EFT,but that was along with the other stuff. I found NLP very useful as it dealt with past experiences, whereas CBT helps you in the present. So a mix of both is extremely beneficial.

ahhh i see-thankyou very much for your reply. x

Thread Information