Thread: cant get off diazepam this time!

Unhappy cant get off diazepam this time!

Hiya everyone
    i suffered a terrifying panck attack about 10wks ago that lasted for 4days and i couldnt calm down my gp gave me 15mg mirtazapine and 2mg diazepam 4 times a day i started to get better but was still struggling social anxiety alot so my gp upped my mirtazapine to 30mg i slowly came of the diazepam and started getting better then out of the blue i was hit by another petrifying attack luckly it didnt last to long as i had diaz in the cuboard n calmed me down , i went bk to gp in tears he said to start taking the diaz again until i feel strong enough to stop again . but what if i stop them and i have another attack ? il be back at square one everytime and im scared tht soon my gp will stop prescribing them for me . im not afraid of anything except for panic attacks and thats why i keep having them! i know this yet my mind doesnt want to reason with me lol any advice or similar situations?
    katie x

Re: cant get off diazepam this time!

My mum as been addicted to benzodiazepines for over 35 years now and they have robbed her of a normal life. I am surprised that your gp gave you these in such a large quantity and i would be even more surprised if he continued to prescribe them to you. They are a very addictive and can be very difficult to withdraw from. I suggest you go back to your GP, explain how you are already starting to feel dependent on this medication and ask to refer you for CBT therapy as this is dealing with the underlying reason of your panic disorder. In the meantime maybe he could prescribe you with some other form of anti depressant. Trust me, there are plenty of other options which would offer you a better chance of recovery. Diazapam are almost like a sedative and this is why people find them so helpful to ease the affects of panic. My mother is a benzodizepam addict and my cousin is an heroin addict, in my opinion when benzodiazepams are abused there is little difference between the two. I take diazapam for flying and in the past I have taken one for extreme panic and anxiety, my GP would never prescribe more than what was required and I would never wish to take them on a regular basis. They are not good for long term use, please trust me x

Re: cant get off diazepam this time!

he said to start taking the diaz again until i feel strong enough to stop again .

I'm not a professional so I'd be wrong to advise you regarding the medication but I feel I have to say something or I fear you could get hooked and not receive any benefit from the meds.

To explain...

I was prescribed diazepam over 10 years ago but I wasn't warned by my doctor that they were highly addictive. Each time my anxiety increased so did the dose of the diazepam. Eventually I was on the maximum dose but wasn't feeling any benefit so my anxiety was just as bad.

Also I believe that my attacks were Worse while I was taking diazepam daily but I only realised after I stopped taking them but I have no proof that's true.

I took diazepam for about 3 years and when I told the doctor I wanted to come off them I only discovered then that if I didn't reduce them very gradually, my anxiety shot through the roof! Therefore, the only way I managed to come off them was over a period of 6 months by very gradually reducing the dose.

My concern is therefore the above, that if you you take them daily you Will become addicted to them, you Will find it very difficult to stop them and you Won't be receiving any benefit from them.

However, there IS a way round this....

Diazepam is actually a Very Good sedative and it has almost immediate effect unlike modern ad's.

It is Not though something that should be taken daily because of its addictiveness and as the dose is increased, they also lose their effect.

This is the part that's difficult though because I don't want to go against your doctor or advise on medical matters when I shouldn't but personally, if I were in your postion...

1) I would go back to my doctor and ask his opinion on the following...

2) That you've heard that diazepam is addictive...is this true!?

3) Then ask him if you can take them ONLY when you feel an "actual panic attack" coming on as "one offs" (NOT every day!) until the next time you have an attack.

I feel quite sure this way you won't get addicted but you'll receive full benefit from the meds.

4) Push for CBT therapy so that, if you wish in time, you'll no longer need meds.

5) PLEASE ask your doctor FIRST before you think about following my suggestion because he will know you much better than me.

Thread Information