Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gonna stop procrastinating and start the Cit

Gonna stop procrastinating and start the Cit

Hi guys, please wish me good luck!!

I think I'm finally going to bite the bullet and give Cit a try. Basically had some stressful events at the start of the year which kicked a high level of anxiety off for the first time in my life ever. The stressful events have now been resolved but I feel like the daily grind of the anxiety has stuck around:-(

I feel like I've had slow and steady improvement over the last few months to the point where I can say the physical effects of the anxiety are fairly under control, but it's the mental chatter and constant self assessment of how I'm feeling just are making me feel deeply depressed - it's so hard to step out of that cycle! Right now my life should be peachy but I just can't get out of my head and thoughts to see/enjoy it, if that makes sense?!

So I'm hoping the Cit + some cbt + yoga & meditation will get my life back on track... I feel like I have a good run feeling normal for a week or two then my negative thoughts kick in, which makes me anxious, which then makes me dark and depressed for a few days, before a glimmer of positivity returns and the cycle starts again.

Re: Gonna stop procrastinating and start the Cit

Know exactly how you feel. I am on day 7 of Cit 20mg, I was very nervous as well but bit the bullet. Am told it takes a minimum of 2 weeks before they kick in, so here's hoping! I am having counselling, general talking with CBT, doing yoga and tai chi at home and taking vitamins.

Good luck and there are a few of us on here that have just started Cit, so we can support each other. xx

Anthony J. D'Angelo

Hey there Flubby,

Wanted to offer you support, your circumstances sound similar to mine when I started taking cit in June. Once the side effects settled - not great but bearable, still managed to do my job etc, things have really settled down anxiety wise, not completely but I can feel positive and clear headed enough to gain an understanding of what caused the anxiety in me and how best to stop it recurring which I certainly wouldn't have managed without the cit.

Also go to yoga classes and trying to practice mindfulness meditation which gives a really positive perspective in me controlling my own recovery without just the use of drugs.

Hope that helps...!

Best of luck chuck, keep us posted.

Hi Flubby, you sound determined,I would go for it. Ive only been taking Citalopram for 3 days myself, good luck you will succeed.

Thanks for the support guys! I'm glad to hear there's a few of you also starting out like me so we can compare notes:-)

Funnily enough thru all this I've still been able to function at work (good distraction?) but I really just want my old life back!

I'm trying my hardest to get back into exercise + hobbies as I know these are key things that have made me happy in the past but just feeling terribly unmotivated right now, so hopefully once the cit kicks in, I'll get some of that old drive and passion back:-)

Hugs and best wishes to you all on this crazy journey!

By the way guys, my doc prescribed 20mg but said to halve them and start on 10mg for the first week or so. Kinda nervous about that tho and am wondering if I should dip my toes in with 5mg... What did you guys start on?

Quote Originally Posted by flubby View Post
    By the way guys, my doc prescribed 20mg but said to halve them and start on 10mg for the first week or so. Kinda nervous about that tho and am wondering if I should dip my toes in with 5mg... What did you guys start on?
    I was prescribed 20mg and was told just to take the prescribed dose. But you do what you feel comfortable with. I did ask the pharmacist about halving them and she said that the side effects might be less but it would take twice as long to help me, so I bit the bullet.

Anthony J. D'Angelo

Quote Originally Posted by heavenly View Post
    I was prescribed 20mg and was told just to take the prescribed dose. But you do what you feel comfortable with. I did ask the pharmacist about halving them and she said that the side effects might be less but it would take twice as long to help me, so I bit the bullet.
    Ah point taken:-) well done with starting on 20mg! I think I'll go for 10mg then as i dont have the guts to go higher lols. But yeah i can see that 5mg will just delay things waaay more x

I started on 10mg for a good 3 weeks even though 20 was prescribed.
    I didn't want to have time off work and have 2 energetic sons I didn't want to feel monged too much, even though I still did quite a bit on 10mg for a few days - hardly remember it now so can't have been that bad!

Quote Originally Posted by flubby View Post
    Ah point taken:-) well done with starting on 20mg! I think I'll go for 10mg then as i dont have the guts to go higher lols. But yeah i can see that 5mg will just delay things waaay more x
    Guts or stupidity, not sure which one yet, let you know when they start doing their job and the side effects lessen. lol

Anthony J. D'Angelo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information