Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuming

Fuming

Im just getting this off my chest, admin can delete if they see fit.

I am so fed up with reading posts where people advise others to "demand" tests like scans, MRI's etc because they want reassurance that they don't have some disease.

Do people think money for these tests growns on trees? The NHS is stretched to breaking point already so what right does anyone have to demand tests that are not necessary?

I have been here over 2 and a half years and I have not seen one case where people who post with symptoms has been diagnosed with a serious illness..not ONE.

Yes, I know HA is the pits but it is no easy ride for those of us who have, or had, other serious anxiety issues..we can't "demand" help when we want it.

I sat in A and E yesterday for 10 and a half hours with a close family member. The place was like a war zone and that is no understatement, trolleys in corridors, an 89 yr old lady covered in blood after a fall stuck in a wheelchair waiting by the admissions desk because there was nowhere else to put her while she was waiting for tests..not enough staff to cope, not enough beds to put them in.
    Not even any chairs for those accompanying the sick to sit on, I stood for 5 hours.

The NHS is stretched to breaking point and any money that can be saved for diagnosing and treating serious illnesses should be kept for that purpose, not for reassurance purposes.

Harsh but true I'm afraid.

Re: Fuming

Ladybird, as a trained nurse working in the NHS I do agree with you!

I agree with you partly. I think that blood tests and a few other tests should be allowed, my view and from what I understand this is true is that a blood test is a good place to start - if that shows something then its worth investigating further, if not then see what the doctor says.

Oh No Ang, 10 hours in casualty?! Thats bad enough, but a family member? oh my goodness, I hope they and you are ok?
    I agree with what you say. Sure, gps should refer you for necessary investigations, if its biologically based, but not for reassurance. Your description of casualty sounds horrific, I hope you are ok, thinking of you xxxxx

I think you are a bit out of order, people come to this site for support and advice, not to be told they shouldn't be seeing a doctor becuase they are a strain on the nhs.

Doctors should be more clued up on referring HA to the correct treatment if they get these requests, not sending them home. There should be resources to allow doctors to do this, that's the problem.

Perhaps we should also refuse treatment to the self harmers, alcoholics, smokers and drug dependants too - I imagine they cost more.

Long sufferer of health anxiety but *shush* it's a secret! Adverse to meds.

"Getting information off the internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant" (Mitchell Kapor)

I agree with you ladybird - if a doctor thinks a person needs a test, they will send them for one.

Suggesting that people demand tests is undermining the experience and skill of their GPs and reinforcing the person's belief that they cannot trust what their healthcare provider is telling them.

It's part of forum guidance that members should get a proper diagnoses from a qualified health professional.

I shouldn't feel i can't advise a poster to get another doc appointment becuase it will waste nhs money.

"Getting information off the internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant" (Mitchell Kapor)

No-one has suggested not advising people to see their GP - the point being made was about people encouraging members to demand tests, like MRIs, CTs etc.

But in effect you are demanding a gp appointment, it's still money, and if you add all the extra appointments together, it will be more then a handful of mri scans. What about demanding blood tests? Why is it ok to waste small amounts of money, just not large amounts? Why is another appointment not undermining? Or a second gp that's more sympathetic?

It doesn't work. It's not the patients fault they are demanding these tests, if they were identified and treated for HA from the get go, there would be less demands.

In response to Catlady's posts.

It's a shame you think I'm out of order but just as some have the right to post the same thing over and over I also have a right to give an opinion. I would also suggest that you read things carefully before you post your replies as you have stated I have said things that I haven't.

You don't need to quote forum rules at me either..I have been here for 2 and a half years, you have been here a month. What the forum rules are have absolutely no bearing on my original post, I have not suggested anywhere that someone who is concerned with their health should not see their doctor.

I am in total agreement with the fact that many doctors are not clued up on HA but I would also offer another scenario. You have stated that people with HA should be treated from the get go.

All fine and dandy but what if the person refusues to even acknowledge the fact that there is the remotest possibility they may have HA..how do you suggest the treatment goes ahead? What if the prson is convinced that they do not have HA?

I'm sure you understood fully what my point was. If not, let me clarify for you.

If a person goes to a GP complaining of physical syptoms, it is highly likely that preliminary tests will be carried out. That is common sense.
    My point is when there have been tests carried out, often quite exhaustively and people are demanding things such as MRI's it is wrong, unless there are clinical findings that would suggest further testing is necessary.

I woulkd also like to add that I don't see people demanding these tests for a minor ailment, they are always convinced they have something severe or life-threatening.

Yes, you can go back to the old chestnut of the smokers, drinkers and whatever to make your point..fine, point taken. I agree with this and in an ideal world nobody would do any of the above but then you don't normally get these people demanding tests. Anyway, that has nothing to do with the topic here.

Bottom line is, people that are given tests for reassurance purposes are putting other people in need further down the queue.

That is not right and should not be allowed, it's crazy to even consider that it's the right thing to do.

I know how awful HA is but you contradict yourself Catlady. You say that HA's should get correct treatment but then say that their GP should bow to the demands of invasive tests..will that help the HA?

Unfortunately there are a lot of medical problems in our family, some quite severe. I was at A and E because of one of those problems yesterday-we didn't have a choice to go there, we had to go there.

Please refer to my original post. I went and got paper towels to clean that old lady up yesterday because the staff did not have time to do it, they were dealing with more urgent cases.

The NHS is that short of money that these scenarios are happening every day so yes, as someone who has stood many, many times in A and E, watching these things happen I stand by every word of my initial post.

Thanks to the others that have replied, glad you could see the point I was making. Or trying to.

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information