Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuming

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Fuming

Im just getting this off my chest, admin can delete if they see fit.

I am so fed up with reading posts where people advise others to "demand" tests like scans, MRI's etc because they want reassurance that they don't have some disease.

Do people think money for these tests growns on trees? The NHS is stretched to breaking point already so what right does anyone have to demand tests that are not necessary?

I have been here over 2 and a half years and I have not seen one case where people who post with symptoms has been diagnosed with a serious illness..not ONE.

Yes, I know HA is the pits but it is no easy ride for those of us who have, or had, other serious anxiety issues..we can't "demand" help when we want it.

I sat in A and E yesterday for 10 and a half hours with a close family member. The place was like a war zone and that is no understatement, trolleys in corridors, an 89 yr old lady covered in blood after a fall stuck in a wheelchair waiting by the admissions desk because there was nowhere else to put her while she was waiting for tests..not enough staff to cope, not enough beds to put them in.
    Not even any chairs for those accompanying the sick to sit on, I stood for 5 hours.

The NHS is stretched to breaking point and any money that can be saved for diagnosing and treating serious illnesses should be kept for that purpose, not for reassurance purposes.

Harsh but true I'm afraid.

Re: Fuming

Ladybird, as a trained nurse working in the NHS I do agree with you!

Quote Originally Posted by happycamper View Post
    Ladybird, as a trained nurse working in the NHS I do agree with you!

I SHARE THAT EMOTION HAPPYCAMPER...

...and I agree so much with you too ladybird. It incenses me as appointments/referrals/tests are like gold dust and yet some people think they can just demand what they like, when they like without considering the costs involved and the fact that others may be more needy than themselves. God knows, we all need peace of mind, but sadly the mechanism of the NHS gives people the idea that they are entitled in some way to whatever, whenever and this isnīt so, and anyone who works in the NHS can tell you that free treatment in this country isnīt a right, it is a privlilege.

The problem with HA is that when its severe the sufferer thinks they really do have an illness as alot of anxiety symptoms can mimic real conditions, so the doctors have to rule out anything that might be serious. I don't think sufferers, or anybody else who is sent for tests really think about how much the test is costing...that's probably furthest from their thoughts at that time. I think also that anyone who cannot accept that they're not ill when the tests show negative really are mentally ill. They used to be called hypochondriacs and that condition has always been around. Perhaps the answer is that its up to the GPs to refuse to continually refer patients for repeated tests when they know someone has severe HA. If its a mental health issue rather than a physical issue then it should perhaps be handled differently? Just some more thoughts.

Anna xx

The point of this thread if Im not mistaken is about people telling others to DEMAND TESTS ..THEN subsequently going back to the Drs & do so .No one disputes the fact you need to have tests your Dr deems necessary .But when he doesnt think you need them .You have not got the right to demand them .Like a lot of these threads .People take the whole point out of context ,then we have pointless arguements that leave people distressed .This site and the original poster have always offered support to people with H/A .To say any differently is just untrue .This only adds to the upset and causes more work and frustration for the founder of this site and the Admins to sort out .As remarks like that will always add fuel to the fire ..Now wheres my fire extinguisher ????? Sue

I know I said I wasn't going to post again but wanted to thank everyone, especially those with HA who have posted here and have sent me kind PM's..you have no idea how much they are appreciated.

As I said previously and those that had actually read my posts will know, I am open to all points of view and people like Daisycake, Rennie and so many others whose names I can't remember..thanks for putting your point across, it is a pleasure to be enlightened by those in the know.

There are so many interesting posts that it's a shame if people just concentrate on a backlash and these good points get missed.

I have deliberately stayed away as things had got so heated and people weren't reading what I had subsequently posted..well maybe they were but chose to ignore what I said, I don't know.

I honestly didn't know what people wanted from me.

Anyway.. my main business in being on NMP is now that I'm more or less recovered is trying to lend a hand to those who haven't started to get better.

And that definitely IS my last post on this thread.

I agree with you partly. I think that blood tests and a few other tests should be allowed, my view and from what I understand this is true is that a blood test is a good place to start - if that shows something then its worth investigating further, if not then see what the doctor says.

Oh No Ang, 10 hours in casualty?! Thats bad enough, but a family member? oh my goodness, I hope they and you are ok?
    I agree with what you say. Sure, gps should refer you for necessary investigations, if its biologically based, but not for reassurance. Your description of casualty sounds horrific, I hope you are ok, thinking of you xxxxx

I agree with you ladybird - if a doctor thinks a person needs a test, they will send them for one.

Suggesting that people demand tests is undermining the experience and skill of their GPs and reinforcing the person's belief that they cannot trust what their healthcare provider is telling them.

I think you are a bit out of order, people come to this site for support and advice, not to be told they shouldn't be seeing a doctor becuase they are a strain on the nhs.

Doctors should be more clued up on referring HA to the correct treatment if they get these requests, not sending them home. There should be resources to allow doctors to do this, that's the problem.

Perhaps we should also refuse treatment to the self harmers, alcoholics, smokers and drug dependants too - I imagine they cost more.

Long sufferer of health anxiety but *shush* it's a secret! Adverse to meds.

"Getting information off the internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant" (Mitchell Kapor)

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information