Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuming

Re: Fuming

Very well put ladybird

Whilst I have joined you on the 'soapbox' I thought I'd just mention that I really do believe that we (myself, as a health anxiety sufferer, included) need to take a bit more responsibility for our mental health. We cannot expect GPs to spot every case of health anxiety, especially when I know a lot of us will see our GPs having read up on the condition we think we have, and maybe even manipulate the truth slightly, so our symptoms fit the condition!! But WE know we have health anxiety because we are here posting on this forum. There are many things we can do to help ourselves (advice here, books, online information). It's fine to ask for help, but there's always going to be a limit to what others can do for us - and we know constant reassurance just DOES NOT work! It might not be what we want to hear but we cannot rely on everyone else when we won't help ourselves...

I too do agree that if you know you have a health anxiety then you should take responsibility for your mental health as much as possible, joining this forum is a very good start....asking your GP for help with this is a proactive step too, as difficult as it is to do.

In my experience those who shout the loudest in health care often get much more than those who don't.

I agree with Ladybird, and I think the sentiment of her original post is getting somewhat lost. Of course a person – even a HA sufferer – should be entitled to visit their GP if they’re concerned about something. But the GP is a qualified medical expert, and if he’s certain that a person isn’t suffering from a serious illness, there seems little point in still referring them for tests for that illness.

However, that person is suffering from a illness of sorts – health anxiety. That should be recognised and steps taken to reassure them they’re ok, and in some cases offer help and support for that illness instead. That’s where the system fails, in my opinion. The person is left feeling misunderstood and their concerns ignored, and this does little to reduce their fears – which ultimately are fears for their life.

I think this is an interesting point to discuss so I hope it stays on topic.

Nigel

Quote Originally Posted by ladybird64 View Post
    In response to Catlady's posts.

It's a shame you think I'm out of order but just as some have the right to post the same thing over and over I also have a right to give an opinion. I would also suggest that you read things carefully before you post your replies as you have stated I have said things that I haven't.

You don't need to quote forum rules at me either..I have been here for 2 and a half years, you have been here a month. What the forum rules are have absolutely no bearing on my original post, I have not suggested anywhere that someone who is concerned with their health should not see their doctor.

I am in total agreement with the fact that many doctors are not clued up on HA but I would also offer another scenario. You have stated that people with HA should be treated from the get go.

All fine and dandy but what if the person refusues to even acknowledge the fact that there is the remotest possibility they may have HA..how do you suggest the treatment goes ahead? What if the prson is convinced that they do not have HA?

I'm sure you understood fully what my point was. If not, let me clarify for you.

If a person goes to a GP complaining of physical syptoms, it is highly likely that preliminary tests will be carried out. That is common sense.
    My point is when there have been tests carried out, often quite exhaustively and people are demanding things such as MRI's it is wrong, unless there are clinical findings that would suggest further testing is necessary.

I woulkd also like to add that I don't see people demanding these tests for a minor ailment, they are always convinced they have something severe or life-threatening.

Yes, you can go back to the old chestnut of the smokers, drinkers and whatever to make your point..fine, point taken. I agree with this and in an ideal world nobody would do any of the above but then you don't normally get these people demanding tests. Anyway, that has nothing to do with the topic here.

Bottom line is, people that are given tests for reassurance purposes are putting other people in need further down the queue.

That is not right and should not be allowed, it's crazy to even consider that it's the right thing to do.

I know how awful HA is but you contradict yourself Catlady. You say that HA's should get correct treatment but then say that their GP should bow to the demands of invasive tests..will that help the HA?

Unfortunately there are a lot of medical problems in our family, some quite severe. I was at A and E because of one of those problems yesterday-we didn't have a choice to go there, we had to go there.

Please refer to my original post. I went and got paper towels to clean that old lady up yesterday because the staff did not have time to do it, they were dealing with more urgent cases.

The NHS is that short of money that these scenarios are happening every day so yes, as someone who has stood many, many times in A and E, watching these things happen I stand by every word of my initial post.

Thanks to the others that have replied, glad you could see the point I was making. Or trying to.
    Very well said Ladybird........ I have often thought along similar lines myself........ unfortunately, it does seem that with HA, once someone has been "reassured" that they're not suffering from A..... they then start imagining they're going down with B and so it goes on wasting a terrific amount of NHS money and time. This money would be far better used to fund councelling/therapy treatments that might hopefully provide a permanent solution for sufferers.

The whole reason I am annoyed is that everything is not black and white, and I think it would be wrong to prevent people from suggesting or supporting further tests or appointments on this forum.

The responsibilty lies with the person and their doctor, not the forum.

I don't think gps should bow to all tests unless they and the patient think it is necessary, but gps should recognise that repeated requests for tests are due to some underlying cause, and they should instead be able to refer for HA treatment.

Long sufferer of health anxiety but *shush* it's a secret! Adverse to meds.

"Getting information off the internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant" (Mitchell Kapor)

I missed the start of this, I was having loads of tests done.

Just a point I've thought of, only until recently had I heard of the term health anxiety. We always said my mum was a hypochondriac and joked about it.

But I came across health anxiety as a diagnosis by chance and what a relief it was to know and understand it as something I probably had.

I do think there should be more in the way of health education or something similar to at least make it know to people that it does exist because unless people understand they may have it then they will repeatedly go to their GP genuinely anxious about physical health concerns and the root of the problem won't get resolved.

Just a thought there!

I'd just like to add something from my personal experience... although I can see both sides of the "discussion". For years now my gp's have done nothing about my low blood platelet count. When I try to take certain medications eg. antibiotics or antidepressants, I suffer from something called "purpura", which is bleeding out of the vein. Because i have recently seen a psychiatrist who recognizes that I am in desperate need of ad's (due to my PTSD) she has just written a letter to my gp saying that I need to see a haematologist asap. She realizes that until my blood issue is looked at I cannot get the treatment that I need :( I have been asking gp's for this recognition for too long... and I have always been fobbed- off :(
    So while I recognize that the nhs are at or beyond breaking point, I do not accept that "we the public" are or should be held accountable for that :(
    We all come from different perspectives on this, and of course it is an extremely emotive subject

[QUOTE=CrazyCatLady;737744]The responsibilty lies with the person and their doctor, not the forum.

Totally agree, but then work with the doctor. Nobody on this forum is qualified to give medical advice in regard to tests. You're right, peple DO have to take some responsibility for their health, not just leave it to others.

I don't think gps should bow to all tests unless they and the patient think it is necessary, but gps should recognise that repeated requests for tests are due to some underlying cause, and they should instead be able to refer for HA treatment.

Again, I absolutely agree with you on this point. I cannot understand why a warning bell doesn't go off in a GP's head when they see someone come in again and again for tests.
    I think we can disagree on some things but would agree that treatment for anxiety sufferers should be much better than it is.
    Maybe if enough people make enough noise then things will change..you never know, it may happen!
    /QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by kibbutz83 View Post
    I'd just like to add something from my personal experience... although I can see both sides of the "discussion". For years now my gp's have done nothing about my low blood platelet count. When I try to take certain medications eg. antibiotics or antidepressants, I suffer from something called "purpura", which is bleeding out of the vein. Because i have recently seen a psychiatrist who recognizes that I am in desperate need of ad's (due to my PTSD) she has just written a letter to my gp saying that I need to see a haematologist asap. She realizes that until my blood issue is looked at I cannot get the treatment that I need :( I have been asking gp's for this recognition for too long... and I have always been fobbed- off :(
    So while I recognize that the nhs are at or beyond breaking point, I do not accept that "we the public" are or should be held accountable for that :(
    We all come from different perspectives on this, and of course it is an extremely emotive subject
    It is emotive Kibbutz but then as long as folks can make their point without rudeness, the discussion will be a useful one.

You have a blood disorder which is preventing you from getting treatment.
    Common sense that you need to see a haemotologist and your GP is obvioulsy dragging their heels. You do not have a perceived condition, you have a clinical diagnosis.

The issue with accountability can go all around the houses and back again and I fear we are straying from the main topic.

Which is, if a clinical diagnosis of "whatever" has been ruled out after proper preliminary testing then further tests should not be necessary and should not be given for that reason.

Many here have had invasive testing (as well as minor tests) and have been given a clean bill of health. They know they suffer from HA as well as having the fear that they have something life-threatening.

From an economic and medical standpoint, it is pointless sending someone for tests for reassurance. It doesn't help.

Out of interest, what do people with HA feel would be beneficial? If a doctor could do anything to help (apart from more tests) then what would it be?

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information