Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuming

Re: Fuming

Personally I do not suffer with HA so I find it hard sometimes to understand why people would want all these tests - some are unpleasant, painful, embarrasing and are adding stress to the problem.

Who wants to go to hospital and have a camera shoved up their backside or down their throat - it can hurt and isn't pleasant to have done!

Hospitals in themselves are stressful places to be in anyway.

If you can afford it then get one of the BUPA health checks done. I had one when I was 40 (got it free through work) and it was very good. Ok you won't get all the test and scans etc you want but you can sit with a doctor and ask him any questions and concerns you have and get some answers straight away. They do not rush you out the door after 7 minutes as your time slot is up!

I had blood tests, ears tested, eyes tested, blood pressure, reflexes, breast scan and mammogram etc etc.

The reason I mention this is that it reduces the cost for the NHS somewhat as you are paying for it. I know we can't all afford it so don't shoot me down in flames for that but I notice also that a lot of people on here say they would pay to go private just for the speed of the reassurance.

Now for the moan (I bet you knew there was one coming lol). The cardiology department called today to give me an appointment for an echocardiogram and the earliest I can get in is January now! They are very busy apparently!

So please spare a thought (as others have said in the past) for those that really need the appointments and not just for reassurance that is primarily caused by severe HA.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Some doctor's can be quite patronising when faced with HA sufferers :( So that is probably what I would like to "change" if I could

I'd love a BUPA health check, but it costs too much for me at the moment. Plus a HA would get fleeced "yes of course we'll give you all these tests..... the cost is only....." Just something to be wary of if you do decide to go private.

What every HA sufferers really wants/needs is a doctor who turns around and says "no, what you really need is this free therapy course and this short-term non-addictive no sideaffect drug, all of which you can start on tomorrow" and the doctor actually have the resources set up by the nhs to do that.
    Last edited by CrazyCatLady; 05-11-10 at 18:23.

Long sufferer of health anxiety but *shush* it's a secret! Adverse to meds.

"Getting information off the internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant" (Mitchell Kapor)

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Of course you have a valid point LB and I can see where you are coming from. I do however see the other side of the coin. This situation gets out of hand because it's allowed to. If doctors fail to identify and treat the underlying anxiety condition then all they're doing is treating the symptoms - endless worries of the patient having some awful terminal disease. But the problem is this: If the patient complains of bad chest pains, lower right abdominal pain or persistent localised numbness, it is wise for the doctor to refer them for further tests even though they know that it's most probably their anxiety causing all these symptoms. If tests have been carried out and are negative it's obviously foolish as well as a waste of resources to repeat them just to satisfy the patient. You see, these patients suffering from HA are also being failed by not getting to the root of their problem. And yes of course it's very difficult to get the patient to "accept" that they have an anxiety disorder that is causing all their symptoms but since when was it the patient's job to diagnose themselves and expect tests to confirm it? This is your original point I believe and one I totally agree with. If the doctor has carried out an examination and feels a referral for further tests etc is not warranted then it should end there. However, I also believe it's the doctor's responsibility to treat the anxiety which many do attempt to do, but as we know, it's notoriously difficult because without the patient's acceptance it's brick wall central.

Anyway, I'm very sorry about your bad experience LB at A&E, and don't let anyone make you feel bad about having a good old fashioned rantage my friend. We're all entitled to it.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Quote Originally Posted by ladybird64 View Post

I have been here over 2 and a half years and I have not seen one case where people who post with symptoms has been diagnosed with a serious illness..not ONE.
    I had to laugh at this comment Ange as I never post my health worries on here as I kind of accepted they were anxiety and then I end up with Crohn's disease and heart failure Typical the way it works isn't it!

I do agree though that I can't remember anyone that was diagnosed with anything serious either.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCatLady View Post
    I'd love a BUPA health check, but it costs too much for me at the moment. Plus a HA would get fleeced "yes of course we'll give you all these tests..... the cost is only....." Just something to be wary of if you do decide to go private.
    They do fixed price health checks and then refer you back to GP for any further testing etc.

I don't know about the word 'Demand' but ive certainly advised new members to see their doctor and suggested they have anything physical ruled out. We can only help people who have already been told its HA, and to do that then maybe people need to have tests. But its the nature of HA that people often aren't reassured and need constant reassurence and more tests. I think this varies from sufferer to sufferer.

Its the job of a very good GP to recognise the fear factor and instead of referring people with HA for more tests, they should perhaps find other ways of helping them. But GPs are under pressure to do something and often handing people over to the hospitals is all they can think of doing. Ive had so many blood tests over the years that my cuppa tea leaks through my arms

I do agree that there should be more money pumped into the emergency services, into the whole system really as we all know, and A&E departments have been a joke for many years. Why can't we have an NHS like other european countries? We might pay a bit more for it but they work really well in places like Holland etc.

Anna xx

Hi there,
    I do understand what you are on about.I have seen and heard things My daughter has MS. She has the worst type. We have taken her to so many clinics,hospitals,we are used to waiting .it is the norm with us. NHS have been so good with different tests she has had and so many different medications she has tried,and will keep on trying and suggesting.I will keep on asking for anything else the NHS has to offer,even if I have to demand I will never give up.She is young- life is so cruel.
    Please do not be angry-- like me who needs this site to keep me sane

Everybody has a right to an opinion, but i feel this site which is meant for support and comfort to suffers of all kinds of anxiety was not the right place at all to post a "rant" of this kind.....i think it was pretty disrespectful. In the correct context and in the right place this would make a very good debate/argument. But again thats just my "opinion"!

Debs

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

I understand your point Debs but LB has apologised for being so angry and knowing Angie, the last thing she'd want to do is to offend or upset genuine people who come on this site seeking support and reassurance. I think we all need to vent sometimes and I don't believe LB is exempt from this.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information