Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: B12

B12

I was diagnosed with panic disorder 6 years ago next month. I was put on Lexapro and have been unable to come off them since. They have been a life saver, but its always in my mind that i want to be rid of meds. I also have quite bad health anxiety which i kept my doctor in business with visits (60e a pop). Everytime I went to the doc, he told me there was nothing wrong with me and that all my symptoms were down to the panic and health anxiety. As he was the doctor who diagnosed me, I trusted him implicitly.

Anyway, I have moved house and my doctor isn/t as close as he used to be so in am emergasncy a couple of months ago I went to a new doctor. I explained what meds I was on and about my history and told him that I was having pains up my right hand side that were constant. I told him that I was aware the pains were prob in my head, but that I needed some reassurance anyway.

He examined me from head to foot and took a full history of what was happening to me. He felt that I had acid reflux and a possible ulcer and perscribed me stuff for what he said was indigestion. Because of my history, he also decided to sent me off for a full blood test (or a full MOT as he called it). He asked me to call back in two weeks for the results.

A week later he called me and asked me to come in. Needless to say, when i got the call from his seceratry I went into full panic mode thinking the worst. I had my appointment the following day.

I arrived to his office and he sat me down. He started asking me loads of questions. Every question he asked me about a symptom, I confirmed that yes I had that symptom. He asked me why I hadn;t gone to the doctor and I told him I was never out of the doctors, but my doc always put anything wrong with me down to the panic disorder.

Turns out I have a VERY managable and simple B12 deficiency. My levels were very bad (120) and i'm on weekly injections for the next 6 months. After that, I will have another blood test to ensure my body is absorbing the vitiman properly. If it is, all is well. If its not, i'll have a weekly/monthly injection for the rest of my life.

I now don't know if I should have ever been put on lexapro as a symptom/side effect of the deficincy is anxiety, depression, etc. I haven't gone back to my regular doc as i haven;t decided how to deal with this yet, but I just wanted to put my story up here in case it might help someone.

What the doctor asked me
    Are you very tired
    Do you get headaches
    Do you feel dizzy for no reason
    Is your hair falling out
    Are you anxious
    Are you depressed
    Are you cold

Maybe someone with a bit more knowledge then me could put something up on it. PM me if you want any info. Also, sorry about the spelling

Re: B12

Before I was perscribed antidepressants I was given a full blood test and thyroid check .I also had a chest xray .I had lost a lot of weight over a stone in fact .This was to rule out anything that could be causing my problems .A good Dr will always do blood tests .Im glad you got diagnosed in the end and I hope you eventually manage to come off your lexapro .Cutting down very gradually is the best way .Thanks for posting and all the best for the future .Sue x

I had a similar incident. I kept going to doctors, saying I was just feeling unwell, lack of energy, tiredness. The doctor kept insisting it was anxiety causing it. After about three months of banging on his door, he sent me for a blood test (just to shut me up, i think). It came back saying that I had pernicious anaemia and suddenly he changed his attitude to me and got things goings. I'm now on b12 jabs every twelve weeks for the rest of my life, and I'm sure if he had acted sooner it would just have been plain anaemia and not turned into the more serious pernicious anaemia.
    Before the b12 was diagnosed he treated me with everything from acid reflux tablets to mild antidepressants, neither of which i took.

I origianally went in through the A&E (6 years ago) so i actually had a blood test, blood gas test, chest x ray, eco test, halter moniter for three days (dono how to spell again!! but ir checks your heart) I was injected with something and then given an x ray to see if i had a clot in my lungs. I was literally checked for everything. The new doc said B12 is something that non vegaterian/vegan's would not be checked for as it is not something that would usually occur in someone who eats meat.
    Last edited by Dee01; 07-11-10 at 00:06. Reason: spelling

thanks MIck - mine has progressed to pernicious anemia too, again like you say, if it had've been spotted earlier it wouldn't have progressed to that.

Some Drs are too fond of dishing out the old happy pills ...Sad fact of life .I hope you complained ?Its a bad Dr who doesnt do blood tests .They need to be more careful imo ..Sue x

That's the problem Dee. Once they diagnose you with any anxiety problem, then they automatically assume everything you have is related to that. it's difficult to get them to check for other things when they are convinced it's anxiety related.

Still, look on the bright side Dee...you have those lovely B12 jabs to look forward to each time

anything to get rid of patients is what it seems and the meds are the easiest!!! I haven't complained yet as i still don't know how I'm going to deal with it. I will do something, but I haven't decided what yet.

There's a lot of good info on this site.

http://www.pernicious-anaemia-society.org/

They sent a petition to the Prime Minister last year regarding the poor treatment and diagnosis of it. They even have someone (legal bod) who could help you for free if you did wish to complain about your treatment.

Wether this is along the right lines or not, marmite coasted cashew nuts from supermarket, or yeast tablets, both B12

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information