Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cold turkey

Cold turkey

I have panic attacks quite often and at the mo i'm trying (quite well may i add) to give up smoking but doing it cold turkey, i know this might be a really stupid qstion but can this make the attacks worse and can it give you chest pains and dizziness?. i feel like i'm going mad at the mo!!!!

HELP!!!

Liz

Hi,
    I contacted the no smoking helpline and asked the same question when i was thinking about stopping. They told me that it can make your anxiety worse in the short term but smoking made anxiety worse anyway.
    They also said that it can cause dizziness, this is because you are getting much more oxygen to your brain than when you were smoking. This too is short lived though.
    Im not sure about the chest pains but maybe if chest pain is usually one of your anxiety symptoms then this is proberbly the cause.
    They also told me that everyone is differant but most people stat to feel better after about 2 weekes.
    Hope the symptoms subside soon and really well done for stopping, i know how hard it is.

Take Care
    Poppy

Hi, I gave up smoking 12 days ago and that's when my attacks came back after a long absence. I went to the doctor and thankfully he is an ex smoker who suffers with stress so he knew where I was coming from.
    He said smoking is a great stress reliever and when we don't have that, our stress manifests itself in other ways hence my old friend anxiety popping in to see me again out of nowhere.
    But not only am I feeling anxious but feeling quite depressed and I'm sure it's down to giving up smoking. Then again when all this crap subsides we'll feel better.
    Good luck and pls try not to relapse
    Shiv x

Hiya

Im with you on this on....I gave up last year for 9 months and I felt really ill and had the most terrible depression and my panic got worse for a short time then the panic improved but the depression was intense! I ended up starting again for a while but have since quit again but this time I cut down to 5 a day and that has seemed to help alot.

Its a hard slog but it does get better and it does help with panic in the long run but you have to be very patient with yourself.
    Jx

Peru83 is offline Intermediate Member
    Hi Liz,

I gave up smoking last may when I had my first set of panic attacks because I was soo afraid that I wouldn't be able to breath. I haven't smoked since and haven't looked back either. I am soo glad to not have that stale taste in my mouth in the morning and the dry throat. and what a difference you see in your pocket too . Like was said your anxiety will be a little higher for the time being as you have just quit your main stress relief, so what should you do........find another. I took up knitting for a bit, but I was rubbish lol. but just keep your hands occupied and your mind and before long you will be like me, wondering what all the fuss about fags are.

Good Luck, even though I'm sure you wont need it

Take Carexx

Claire

ps let us know how you get on

Hope this is still going ok for you and that its settling a bit more now.

Yes, these symptoms are all fairly common in your circumstances

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

proactiveness, positivity, persistence, perseverance and practice = progress

I will say something that many may disagree with but I was actually told by my Dr and psyciatrist DO NOT try to give up smoking until you get a little better.

It is one more thing for you to try to handle.

They both hate smoking and realise it can make anxiety worse but both said dont try to quit yet.

Dont know if that helps though - just what I am told.

If you are feeling great , i guess give up. Or if you think smoking is making you worse, then give up. Its a terrible thing but it also helps some people (not health wise though).

I am trying to make sense but it is hard to explain.

I guess I am trying to say, if you can give it up then go for it but if you fail at it or it is too much to handle at the moment, dont be concerned or worried.

Giving up is hard enough for anyone, even those without anxiety. And yes it will make anx worse for a while normally as I have tried it and so have many others I know. Mind you - if you can do it - go for it and give it a try.

Just trying to say dont add too much more onto your plate.

Chop

Learning to under react

Hi,
    My doctor told me the same chop, when i asked him for help to stop smoking.
    He said its good that i wanted to stop but to wait until the anxiety was more under control before i did.
    I still want to stop but i haven't tried as yet.
    Poppy

Thanks for all your comments, i have given up trying to to give up, i just could'nt do it while i was like this.

Thanks again guys.

Liz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information