Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Omega3 for Anxiety & Depression

Re: Omega3 for Anxiety & Depression

If i just brought a good mutivitam would that do th
    e job. And it stating omega 3.

diaizpam 5mg, as needed.

come on panic attack do your worse,, you can knock me down,, BUT I WILL GET BACK UP AGAIN.

Its all to do with the EPA content of the Omega 3 apparently. Apparently the studies showed a positive difference to people with depression who took EPA of 1000mg per day. So check out the EPA content on the back of the bottle. 4 capsules a day of the Eskimo 3 Fish Oil is 960mg so that is what I take.
    Last edited by heavenly; 21-01-11 at 17:36.

Anthony J. D'Angelo

Dr David Servan-Schreiber talked about fish oil as an effective cure for depression in this book (original title, Guérir)

Btw, there are a lot of interesting ideas in it.

what is the kind of time scale on this does anyone know?

I began to take fish oil supplements just under a month ago, and I am not expecting anything overnight or anything, just wondering how soon any effect was seen

I am about to order some omega 3 but I am ordering krill oil which is purer and 42% high in omega 3 im ordering mine from iherb which is in the states but it only costs about £10-12.

They're said to be good also for visual snow so I'm giving them a try.

Quote Originally Posted by heavenly View Post
    Its all to do with the EPA content of the Omega 3 apparently. Apparently the studies showed a positive difference to people with depression who took EPA of 1000mg per day. So check out the EPA content on the back of the bottle. 4 capsules a day of the Eskimo 3 Fish Oil is 960mg so that is what I take.
    ^
    This. There's a website where a huge amount of research was collated.

http://www.psycheducation.org/depres...ds/Omega-3.htm

EPA needs to be around 1000mg, and a tablet needs to be at least 60% EPA and no more than 40% DHA. Now you may find that a 1000mg Omega 3 tablet is only 180mg EPA and 120mg DHA, so effectively, you'd need to take six tablets a day to get 1000mg EPA.

---------- Post added at 15:46 ---------- Previous post was at 15:43 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by blue moon View Post
    I take 2 0mega 6's everyday plus magnesium,calcium and potassium all of which are great help and known to help anxiety and stress,but really a good healthy diet of fresh fish,veg and fruit plus plenty water and plenty exercise is good
    Petra x
    Omega 6 is known to cause pain related anxiety, rather than relieve. I would change to Omega 3 unless Omega 6 is working for you. Omega 3 is supposed to balance out the Omega 6.

How long before you notice an effect?

Quote Originally Posted by kt79 View Post
    How long before you notice an effect?
    Unfortunately, Omega 3 can take some time before it starts to work - as much as 4-6 weeks. If you're particularly struggling, why not try some Inositol and/or Magnesium - which has much more rapid relief.

---------- Post added at 22:53 ---------- Previous post was at 22:42 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by craigos27 View Post

I have been taking them (with a good Multi vitamin) every morning for over a month now. If you choose to take them, make sure that it contains at least 200mg of Ethyl eicosapentaenoic acid. This 'acid' is what helps.

If you are considering to take them (I suggest you do) have a read of this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-EPA

These are the Omega3 Capsules that I currently take:

http://www.healthspan.co.uk/sleep-mood/omega-3-650mg/productdetail-p359-c114.aspx
    I've just noted that the Omega3 tablets you are taking do not contain E-EPA. There is a difference between EPA and E-EPA.:

EPA is the natural form of Eicosapentaenoic acid. This is the form in 95% of Omega 3 tablets out there and easiest to find. This is in foods and the cheapest form.

E-EPA or Ethyl eicosapentaenoic acid is the synthetic form of EPA. It's obtainable, but much more expensive. Whether it is more potent than standard EPA is uncertain, but it certainly appears to have evidence for treating a wide range of psychological symptoms.

Both varieties of EPA help, but it's worth clarifying a few things in your original statement, so people aren't trying to track down expensive forms of EPA in E-EPA.

For anyone interested - I found these as a high source of EPA and low in DHA, for very reasonable prices:
    http://www.myprotein.com/uk/products/super_omega_3

This has 530mg EPA in ONE tablet. You'd need two a day!

I've started to take some Hemp oil capsules that are meant to be a good source of omega 3. Has anyone else tried these?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information