Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First few days...side effects?

First few days...side effects?

I was given a script for 20 mg of Celexa at the end of September. I only took one, and then opted to not take any more because I felt very yucky.

However, after another bout with HA, I decided to start them. Took my first one on Sunday morning.

Sunday night, I woke up every hour or so, sweaty and hot. Not soaking my clothes, just a damp chest. I had a dry mouth, and the sweating made me a bit panicky, and then I'd cough and gag/dry heave. (just getting over a chest cold, so that could be it too).

Monday, I took another. Felt pretty sleepy throughout the day. Chest felt tight. Monday night, woke up once, a bit sweaty again, and mind immediately started racing with my HA fears.

Tuesday, took another one. Was out last night until midnight-ish. Despite being tired, did not fall asleep until nearly 2 am. Woke up at 4:30, not sweaty, but had some panicky thoughts again. Had some heartburn, and could taste supper!!!

Wednesday, today, woke up VERY nauseous. Tummy is rumbling and gurgling. Have drank some juice and eaten yogurt. A cup of decaf coffee. Sipping on water. Feel "out of it." Shaky. Tingly. Still nauseous. Am terrified of taking fourth dose.

I keep reading it will get better. God, I hope so. Does this sound like a typical early reaction?

Re: First few days...side effects?

It sounds normal to me, have a read of the citalopram survival guide at the top of this page! Is great and has eased my fears no end.

Because im worried about side effects I am starting very very slowly, and doing 5mg a day for the first week, then taking 10mg a day next week, and so on until I reach where I need to be.

i am feeling effects, but nowhere near as bad as last time when i tried to start at 20mg straight off

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Yes, your reaction and side effects do sound familiar. It does take a few weeks to start feeling better and most of the side effects should start to disappear or at least lessen by then too.

It can be a scary ride at first but have faith that it will get a whole lot easier. It did for me.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Hi

Its normal to feel like this when you start these meds.

I started on 5mg and worked up as it lessened the side effects

mandie x

I am on the 2 week mark of taking 20mg, its been a tough 2 weeks, I feel your pain!! But saw my GP today and said to give it another 2 weeks, should be working by then.

Anthony J. D'Angelo

The effects you describe are definitely caused by the meds, so try not to worry about them, they won't hurt you. It can take weeks for the side effects to settle down and the benefits of the medication to show. Unless a medication is making you ill, you should stick with it for at least 6-8 weeks. Coming off a medication after just a couple of weeks is a waste of time.

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

I was a bit dizzy yesterday, and told my husband it's probably best for him to drive for the next few weeks.

Took the 4th dose last night before bed, thinking changing time of day might help with sleeping. Only woke up once, but immediately had racing thoughts. Nausea not too bad today though. Was able to eat an egg sandwich. Will see how rest of the day goes.

thanks for your replies.

Hi lilboobs

i was also taking my tablets before bed and my nights sleep was awful, at first for few days i was waking up almost every hour and sweating so bad! also felt extremly anxious and sick and the thought of getting up and getting ready for work was just horrible. it slowly started to calm down, im not at the end of my second week of taking 20mg citropram and its settling in a lot better then at the beginning. i am also taking my tablet at about 5/6 in the evening now and finding my sleep is getting better. not normal but i am not waking up every hour now and not sweating anymore. maybe try taking it a little earlier may help for you too. hope it settles in soon xxx

Quote Originally Posted by x0xrachx0x View Post
    Hi lilboobs

i was also taking my tablets before bed and my nights sleep was awful, at first for few days i was waking up almost every hour and sweating so bad! also felt extremly anxious and sick and the thought of getting up and getting ready for work was just horrible. it slowly started to calm down, im not at the end of my second week of taking 20mg citropram and its settling in a lot better then at the beginning. i am also taking my tablet at about 5/6 in the evening now and finding my sleep is getting better. not normal but i am not waking up every hour now and not sweating anymore. maybe try taking it a little earlier may help for you too. hope it settles in soon xxx
    My GP told me to take it first thing, it was making me fairly drowsy at work, so I now take it at mid-day. I do sleep fine, but I do wake mega early, I am hoping that will stop in time and I will go back to sleeping through to my alarm.

Anthony J. D'Angelo

I take mine first thing in the morning (7am), I am sleeping a little better. I still wake up very early but its ok. The one thing that hasnt changed yet is the anxiety,its still very high and shows no sign of coming down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information