Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: a snippet of public opinion/ignorance on agoraphobia

Re: a snippet of public opinion/ignorance on agoraphobia

Whilst trawling the web finding out info on the Blue Badge I did find this article, not sure if it's still relevant as I know they keep on changing the criteria all the time, but it makes interesting reading

http://www.dft.gov.uk/transportforyo...ligibility.pdf

People with mental health difficulties

Due to the wide range of mental health difficulties, it is difficult to generalise as to the relationship between mental health difficulties and access to services. This study shows that, while some people with mental health problems encounter no problems, others face serious barriers. There is evidence in this study that travelling independently can be problematic for people with anxiety-related conditions, as this can trigger a panic attack, especially in crowded and unfamiliar surroundings. There was even greater risk of this happening to people with severe disorders (e.g. schizophrenia). For people who have panic attacks, some may start to associate particular places and situations with having such an attack. In an attempt to avoid another attack, some people may start to avoid places where attacks had previously occurred, and this can reduce their propensity to travel and to participate in everyday activities. There is a high risk for people to develop conditions such as agoraphobia or social phobia.
    Quality of life and social inclusion could be greatly enhanced by entitlement to parking concessions. More importantly, the evidence here suggests that reduced walking distances to a person’s final destination can, in some cases, potentially reduce the risk of some mental health conditions getting worse. The ability to park close to destinations would help to prevent the person concerned from having an anxiety attack, becoming confused and feeling lost.

i was actually thinking if i would qualify for a blue badge on the grounds of not being able to walk through an area to get to a location , but i doubted i would get it,
    its shocking that people can talk to agoraphobics like that and crack on with their day with no guilt about what tey have just said,
    also i dont know anout anyone else here but i also get the impression that mental illness means stupid, personally i would love love love to study and go to university, but tackling the corner shop is more of a mountain than i can climb im afraid

P.s how do i change my settings to get email notifications on threads i comment on???

I was so angry and upset with the posters on there i've replied.

"Some of the posters in this thread have made me really angry. I too have agoraphobia and social phobia, and the lack of understanding and respect for the origional poster (young woman) is discusting.
    You should gain some knowledge of agoraphobia before you start judging and making nasty coments.
    Agoraphobia is not just a "fear of open spaces", it has varying degree of levels, it's not consistant, and has alot of different meanings.
    I myself would be much more comfortable stood in a field with no one else around (except my fiance), than i would indoors with any amount of people, or in a building that wasn't my own home.

YoungWomans need for a car is an essential part of her recovery and a way to get out of the house while still having a Comforting safe place, whereas being on a bus, with people, not being able to escape to a safe haven, yes you can get off the bus, then be left on a street away from home, it's terrifying.
    Who ever said about her "being paid to drive around in circles", what a riduculous thing to say.
    Do you know how it feels to be cut off from family and friends, to be alone all day every day for years just stuck in your home with no company, nothing to do? Cos i'll etll you, it's the most horrendous lonliest feeling in the world.

This woman is just wanting to have just a taste of the freedom that everyone else has, and if going out in a car is the only way for her to get some kind of normality and a have a change of scenery for an hour or 2 then it's a fantastic well worth cause!"

very well said honey, especially the part about being cut off , thats exactly right .
    for me being outside in the countryside with just my partner and daughter with no one around is managable but strangely still smothering , and if there are people around i just put my head down when we walk past them , i have no doubt they think im ignorant ,
    and social situations are awful , its hard on my partner because his social life is dictated by my agoraphobia, he will sugest going to a friends for a drink and i will generally go in a mood and get upset , we will have a big fight and he will say it doesnt matter. 99% of the the social gatherings we get invited to i back out of ,

Quote Originally Posted by ButterflyWings View Post
    P.s how do i change my settings to get email notifications on threads i comment on???
    Click on thread tools at the top of the thread and then "subscribe to this thread" and change it so it sends you instant emails.

Hope that helps

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Ive been getting mine a week late ...lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information