Thread: Extra beats

Extra beats

Hi All,
    I have been having a rising sensation in my chest which goes up to my neck and ends in a squeeze in the neck. This all last only a few seconds. Back in January i had my first hard thud in my chest, my GP said this was normal heart activity - no worries etc.
    I visited a Cardiologist on Wednesday, i had an ECG which he said was normal, he suggested from my symptoms that i had an extra heart beat, which is causing the above sensation. (i initially thought the rising and squeezing was down to acid reflux, although it doesnt burn????} Having come home i have looked into this extra beat further and found that some can be life threatening, depending on which heart chamber the extra beat is from, HOW does the cardiologist know if mine are life threatening or not? I didnt have the squeezing sensation whilst on the ecg machine and he has now discharged me. HELP please, please, this is really making me ill, i cant get my head around it.

Many Thanks and sorry for posting a long post.

Re: Extra beats

Hi Rachel, Please do not worry or panic. The problem is that the doctors do not give us an detailed explanation of what ectopic beats are and just do a check and then send us on our way making us wonder what the hell just happened or what is happening to me ? We have all been there. I have had these feelings you describe on/off for 5 years. I am 26. I'm sure if you could think back maybe you have a been a bit stressed out lately ? Do you suffer from panicky feelings in general? This is a high contribution I feel wel it is for me. They can probably see from your ECG you have a healthy heart and what it was was a benign ectopic beat which will not harm you. I have them 7 times in a minute. I can feel them right now if I stop and pause. You need to find distraction, occupy your mind and relax. Run a hot bath with some oils and pamper yourself. In time because time is the main healer these will get better. I have been bad for a few months but a couple of days this week I had only a few that I felt so I know it is anxiety because in the end I changed my way of thinking. What is the point in worrying all the time ? Take it easy and accept this is just they way your heart is beating at the moment but you will feel better eventually XXX

Hi
    Thank you so very much for taking the time to reply to me. I do have high anxiety and have had for as long as i can remember. I am currently having CBT Therapy every week for this. Its a scarey feeling to be like this, i feel so alone and not normal, if you know what i mean. I often look at others and wish i was more like them and not like me, on the anxiety front. I dont know why im like i am and cant seem to make any sense of things right now. I am so scared of all this heart stuff, probably as i dont really truely understand. Thanks again for being kind. Thanks
    Rachel

Hi Rachel,
    Totally understand how you feel. I think it is quite obvious then that your ectopics are starting up because of anxiety. Honestly it is sooo horrible isn't it ! Take reassurance that there are millions of us out there with the same symptoms. They are symptoms of anxiety. it is basically our adrenaline from fear of these things that keep them hanging around a lot longer. Take heart that your ecg was good and you have a healthy heart. It is our minds that need the work so try and improve your way of thinking. Our hearts and other adrenaline symptoms are provoked by our fearful thoughts. It is hard to overcome this now we have ourselves in the pattern but while we are recording every heart beat we are not going to forget what it feels like. I really feel for you as I feel the same sometimes, some days worse than others but this will happen and in time we will become less frightened. Things that have really helped me:

Claire Weekes books are brilliant. you can get them from amazon.

Doctors Lounge website, I think it is www.doctorslounge.com. Do a search on ectopics and there is a doctor on the website that is very good with this topic. People say to stay away from caffeine but don't think it makes much difference just if you have to have one cuppa a day like me!! But taking supplements might help. Are you on medication for anxiety?? Kalm tablets help before bedtime.

Thread Information