Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muscle weakness

Muscle weakness

Does anyone suffer with this?

I also get muscle pain and strong aches, sometimes sudden pains and aches that last ages and leave that particular part feeling extremely weak.

The main thing i get though, EVERY SINGLE DAY, is a really strong urge to stretch my muscles, mostly my arms, neck/shoulders/back, and sometimes legs (although not as much as arms and neck etc!!). Its getting more and more frequent, and say right now if i stretch one of my arms out, that arm will feel REALLY weak afterwards, for ages, so much that i can barely type with that hand :( Its not normal, i know its not anxiety, theres no way :(

I have been referred to Neurology, im dreading it though!! Ive never heard of anyone whos suffers with this constant urge to stretch thing!!

Googling doesnt help either, as it suggests nerve/muscle disorders :(

Im so frightened :(

**** He who fears something gives it power over him.- Moorish proverb ****

**** You can conquer almost any fear if you will only make up your mind to do so. For remember, fear doesn’t exist anywhere except in the mind. - Dale Carnegie ****

Re: Muscle weakness

do u think that if i did have a serious problem then my muscles would not just FEEL weak, they would BE weak where i couldnt really use it? I sometimes think that if i did have something serious going on then this problem wouldnt come and go, would it? Ohhh i dont know :(

**** You can conquer almost any fear if you will only make up your mind to do so. For remember, fear doesn’t exist anywhere except in the mind. - Dale Carnegie ****

didnt think so, ive asked before and i dont think anyone said they get the same sort of thing (re: constant urge to stretch and twist muscles that leave them feeling very weak affterwards, mainly in hands and arms and neck)

I spend most of the day stretching, the tightness in my muscles wake me up at night when i turn over and i have to get up and stretch. Theres not a muscle in my body that doesn't hurt at some point........ because im so tense all the time and it sounds like you are too.

Hi Crazyhayz,

“do u think that if i did have a serious problem then my muscles would not just FEEL weak, they would BE weak where i couldnt really use it?”

I think that would very much be the case. I would’ve expected a real illness to have a real physical effect, whereas thoughts (ie anxiety) give rise to ‘feelings’.

“I sometimes think that if i did have something serious going on then this problem wouldnt come and go, would it?”

My (uneducated!) opinion would be that a real illness would either get better or worse, not come and go. Thoughts and feelings can come and go though

Try to think about something else

Nigel
    Last edited by Nigel; 19-11-10 at 20:30. Reason: Shame & embarrassment – mispelt name!

Thanks guys x i feel alot better x baileys how do u know this is down to tension? has a doctor said? coz i might mention it to my doctor when i see him on the 25th

Quote Originally Posted by crazyhayz View Post
    Thanks guys x i feel alot better x baileys how do u know this is down to tension? has a doctor said? coz i might mention it to my doctor when i see him on the 25th
    Nigel has explained to you what happens when its down to tension.
    I dont suffer with HA so i can look at my problem more logicically.
    I have been to a neurologist who couldnt see a neurological problem. Ive had blood tests and nothing showed up there so because im tense all the time then thats what it must be. If you keep your muscle tight for most of the day they are bound to hurt and need stretching.

thanks x but wot i dont get is that its so sudden, like i cant even control it! and also when i stretch it doesnt actually relieve the urge, it staysd there for ages, then eventually goes, but it just feels too powerful to be anxiety. the weakness i get is the main reason for this, if i strretch my fingers/hand, i lose alot of gripping power? thats not normal :( im not seeing the Neuro until Feb 2nd either.. :(

You are thinking too much about it and how its affecting you, we can all do that.
    If i stretch my hand and then relax it it feels weird, numb, weak but i think nothing of it, its probably because ive been spending too much time typing.
    If the doc thought you had a problem then you would be referred to the neuro before feb.
    Being anxious can cause muscle tension so when you stretch your muscles they will feel strange, they are not use to being relaxed as they are always tight.

Hi Crazyhayz,

Like Baileys, if I tense or stretch various muscles those parts of my body feel different for a while, and if you say keep doing those things, it’s bound to make those parts feel a bit weak or achy after a while.

Your doctor doesn’t seem to be in any hurry to get you referred so he obviously isn’t too concerned. So perhaps when you have that appointment next week you could ask WHY he thinks you’re ok. It’s just that asking us lot here isn’t the most reassuring because none of us are medical experts. Dr Google sadly isn’t an expert either

Your doctor is though, and probably just takes it for granted that he’s pretty sure you’re OK without really thinking of explaining his reasons to you. So having his reassurance – the assurance of an expert – would, I think, go a long way towards putting your mind at ease.

Take care
    Nigel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information